The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve planted some dwarf hairgrass to try carpet the front section of my tank. It is a low light setup and although I can see some new leaves from the main plant, there isn‘t any runners so there is no carpeting effect. The gouram’s love pulling it up and it’s driving me crazy. Should I pull it up and try something else, try replant it closer together or just leave it to “grow”. It’s been in the tank about 2 months.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
In low tech tanks you don't get plants really carpeting like high tech tanks. They will eventually grow in but the 'eventually' is measured in years not weeks or months. Of course if its getting pulled up even that might not be possible. If you want a carpet you will need to either 1) do a dry start method with the tank empty, or 2) upgrade to co2 injection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the hairgrass is in a 250l tank which I can't really drain just to get the grass to grow but I'll possibly attempt a dry start with my 55l nano. The hardscape is all in and just waiting for the plants so I can get the Monte Carlo, anubias nana and possibly Java trident into the tank, moisten it and cover and hope for the best.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
595 Posts
I couldn't get hairgrass to grow at all until I put in CO2. I have it in one carpeted corner that gets good light. Trimming also seems to stimulate growth.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine took a little while to start filling in, even with some CO2, but when I accidentally uprooted one of the plugs after a month I found that it had been spending it's time rooting deeply. At the 2 month mark I started seeing runners, and now it's really taking off. Patience is a virtue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.