The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20g aquarium with beginner plants and fish.
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m debating between DHG or Microsword as a carpet in my 20H aquarium that I will be setting up sometime next year. The tank will have a DIY Co2 system using citric acid and baking soda, and will also have med lighting, 85PAR at 12” in a 16” deep tank. Which one do y’all think suits a beginner the best, forms a good looking carpet, and would do well in my tank conditions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about as far as being beginner friendly goes? Based on my reasearch there is a lot of conflicting info but it seems the easiest way to go would be the longer variety of DHG. I would prefer it stay low but I guess I wouldn’t have a problem trimming it every now and then. Which one have you had more success with? And would Microsword be easier than DHG?

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
This is all subjective. Best is not really a thing in this hobby. There is no definitive answer. Just like most of the other questions you've had, it all boils down to what you think you're capable of and can handle. Along with what you want to do.

If you don't want constant maintenance? Don't use carpeting plants you have to trim with any frequency. The shorter hair grass is likely the best way to go in that case.

Between the plants you've mentioned, one isn't really easier than the other. But if you've never used high light, CO2 and ferts before, it may be best for you to have a trial run before fully setting up a high end tank. Since you're planning on setting the tank up next year, you could consider getting a container of some sort (or spare aquarium) to set up some lighting (can be screw-in LEDs from the grocery store), CO2 (could even be DIY if you don't yet have a setup) and ferts to see how you like each plant. Doesn't have to be big or expensive. But it's a nice way to get a feel for things. After a week or two, you'd likely know which you like best and could then use your container as a grow-out tank so you'd have a ton of extra plants on-hand for when you ultimately set up your main tank.

I have spare tanks that I use for this purpose but just about anything would work - even a 5gal bucket.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I think you're finding conflicting information on which is more beginner friendly because, in my experience, they are very similar. I, personally, think microswords are easier in medium tech, as you're describing, and more forgiving of diy co2 inconsistencies. I've read others that have had no luck with microswords but can grow DHG with no co2 (I can't do this to save my life). I have to agree with @somewhatshocked. It's all subjective.

·
Registered
174 Posts
+1 on it being hit or miss…I can grow dwarf sag without a problem but my micro swords keep dying…which is annoying because I think they would stay smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like your idea somewhatshocked. I could even get all 3 plants in my spare 10g and see how it goes. I probably won’t be able to keep the tank for too long. But I will probably just use the plants that survive in my main 20g, and the others I know I will probably have trouble growing them.

+1 on it being hit or miss…I can grow dwarf sag without a problem but my micro swords keep dying…which is annoying because I think they would stay smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Dwarf Sag has absolutely taken over mine. Never really had a problem with growing it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have DHG and dwarf Sag. Sag is much different in look and easier to grow than DHG. Sag is thicker in foliage and grow 3 times as tall, so it is more a bush cover than lawn. I have never grown micro sword, but read that sword and Sag look so much alike that it’s hard to tell apart.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly don’t want my tank to look like it is now with sag everywhere. For this tank I’m really going for a cleaner looking scape, so taking into consideration what you said I would probably want to go with DHG.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.