The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 inch cube tank, with about 2 1/2 inches of eco complete substrate. There are 3 12 inch current usa truelumen pro about 10 inches over the tank. No cO2. I dose flourish a few times a week. I have been able to get an Amazon sword and water wisteria to grow in substrate. I have tried dwarf hairgrass a few times with no success. Is lighting not enough? Do I need c02? Do I have the wrong substrate? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,344 Posts
I would not attempt DHG in that setup

eco complete is not a very good substrate to grow carpet plants like DHG in from what I have seen. I had much better success in regular sand.
CO2 is basically a requirement. It can grow in low tech setups if you have a nutrient rich substrate (dirted tanks, ADA aquasoil) and provide rather high levels of light. This is not easy to pull off though and it will still grow quite slowly.

DHG is in another league vs plants like wisteria and amazon swords. The latter are extremely easy to grow whereas hairgrass is quite difficult to grow and maintain.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am struggling to get a nice carpet in my 55 dirted with c02...and i am ferting like crazy....

DHG is a bugger. I am having more success than ever but still I am "patchy" in places....

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have some dhg I tossed in a tub with some leftover tank water that is growing fine with no love-maybe once a week I remember to put in a drop of flourish. Its not fast growing, but its doing fine with no real care.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i am having trouble carpeting DHG as well. No CO2. Just excel.

it takes it about a month to grow 3-4 inches tall, then I mow it to about 1 inch, but I can't get it to carpet.

who often should i mow it, and how tall?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I guess I should stop killing DHG. Does anyone have suggestions on a low plant that will grow in eco complete.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
If you still want a carpeting plant effect you can get some dwarf sagg. Was my first carpeting plant and it's not very demanding in terms of light and co2 but it does need nutrient rich substrate as it's a heavy root feeder

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.