The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dwarf Hairgrass covered in bubble please help

547 4
My hairgrass is covered in bubbles, I don't like it, looks like its snowing in my tank. I don't think it's all pearling. I tried inline and in tank diffusers both good quality from CO2 art and same results. I even have to bubble counter down to about 1 bps. I can trim the dhg but I would like to leave it at lease a couple inches long. The inline is connected on the discharge end of my Eheim 2217 and I am using a glass spaybar on the side of the tank since the flow is super high for my 20 long. Please help, I looked into a co2 reactor, any thoughts and how would it work with an inline diffuser? Oddly it's not really covering the healthier bright green DHG nearly as much as the less healthy DHG. It looks wayyyy worse in person. Thank you!
Water Water resources Plant Rectangle Natural landscape
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I reworded my situation with my planted aquarium. I have a 20 long with a dwarf hairgrass carpet. My plants are covered in bubbles, too many bubbles, at least I don't like it. I tried turning down my co2 to 1 bps and nothing. I have an in-line diffuser on a Eheim 2217 which is a bit overkill for my setup. It dawned on me that perhaps I have too much flow/surface agitation and too much o2 is getting in the tank causing all the bubbles. I turned down the flow and aimed my spray bar a little towards the substrate. I will see how it goes. Still getting some surface movement, have my filter throttled half way. Just wanted some thoughts on this. It looks ALOT worse in person, please excuse the media in the tank. Thanks
Water Water resources Plant Rectangle Natural landscape

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured out the problem. I raised to lights about 3 inches and it stopped. Initially I had tried lowering the regulator pressure from about 40 psi to 30 psi which didn't help much if at all. Then I turned the bubble count to around 1 bps which helped and cut the bubbles down some but still not enough. So the last thing was to raise the light and that did the trick. I guess it confirms my plants were pearling like crazy. Now I have my regulator set at 30 psi and about 3bps and still no bubbles but healthy growth and my pH drop is where I want it to be. My algae is pretty much gone I'm glad this happened to me because I learned a lot from the whole ordeal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts