The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get my dwarf hairgrass to grow, at all! I have decent lighting.. nothing special, some DIY co2, and eco complete substrate, I also add fertilizer.
It just... keeps dying on me, all my other plants are doing nice!

Picture:

as you can see the little brown clumps are the grass, any suggestions?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I haven't had much success growing DH grass either and I too have decent lighting (3.2 WPG).so what 'rlong' just mentioned could be my problem which is :there is not enough light.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have had a clump in my 46 gallon with 2 wpg for 9 months, it hasn't grown but maybe 3 or 4 new blades, just sat there looking sad.

I moved it into my new 75 with 3.5 wpg and it has already sprouted new runners all over, and this is only after 10 days.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have 4 WPG and couldn't get it to grow when I was using seachem supplements, Eco-Complete mixed with River gravel and a Carbo-Block CO2 Generator. It grow now that I'm using Flourite substrate (mixed with a little bit of fine gravel), Yamato Green "supplement", and CO2 Injector. I didn't use any controls, so I can't tell you what of that did it, but it worked!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Vitae - we need more specs. I have a 29g with 1 65w pc with a 6 hour burn and a 14 watt with a 10 hour burn on the tank. Thats 2.7 watts/gallon at the max burn. The hairgrass has been growning slow, but fine in ADA aquasoil. No ferts, no co2, no excel. So, in my mind the ada aquasoil is the key to why I can grow it.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mine is growing pretty well in Flourite.
I am also running over 5wpg for a few hours a day along with higher co2, and EI dosing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It grows well for me in a mix of fluorite and gravel over soil. DIY CO2 and around 2.4 wpg. I usually give it a haircut a week or so after I plant it.

I had a hard time getting it going at first, but once some acclimated to my tanks, I've been able to move it between tanks without further die off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This stuff never worked for me in the past...until about 6mos ago. I switched to flourite. I'm running about 3.5 on my lighting in one of my 30g tanks. It didn't really sprout up until I decided to trim it one day. Now it's growing pretty good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there a cheap or at least affordable lighting system for a 20 gallon?
I mean, I love this hobby and all, but unless I had a 100 gallon or at least more then a 20 gallon I can't invest 200+ dollars on a lighting system alone >.<

·
Registered
845 Posts
Cheapest way, 20g's either come with the standard flourenscent or incandescent fixture. If you can get your hands on the incandescent fixture.....go buy some screw-in CF bulbs at Walmart and use that in that fixture. I got a 2 pack GE daylight 40 (6500K) for $6.44. 10W each but they say the 10W bulb is equivalent to 40W.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Two 10W screw-in CFs will give you 10 watts of useable light. 10 watts over 20 gallons is 0.5 WPG.

You don't have to spend $200 on a lighting system. www.hellolights. Check out the 24" (is your 20 gallon 24"?) fixtures. They range from ~$55 to $115.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Opps, I was thinking 20in long tank = 10g tank. LOL He's got a 20g tank... But couldn't he just add to the fixture he has now with an extra 20" long incandescent light fixture and add the CF bulbs to it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.