The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 29g tank that is 18" high and im running a Coralife Fixture that is 28W with a 6500k bulb and a colormax bulb. I'm not running any C02 system but i am dosing with Seachem Flourish Excel. I also have sand substrate which im gonna insert root tabs into. Would be lighting and current conditions be good enough to grow dwarf hairgrass? What carpeting plants that look like grass could i use? I'm thinking about dwarf sag, but i really want the dhg look. Also do c02 fizz tablets work? I don't want to spend alot on a c02 system.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I'm trying it without CO2, but just planted it, so no idea. I did some googling last night and lots of people have it going without CO2. It won't carpet super fast like with CO2, but with nutrient rich substrate or tabs and decent light, people seem to be able to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, i'll try it out with a DIY C02 system. Is my current 6500k light good for plants??? I have a dual t5 fixture, but im looking for a bulb thats good for plants a gives off a white light. and im also looking for a bulb that show fish's colors. Thanks for the fast reply!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Before I got my pressurized system, I used a DIY system with two 2 liters, which was more than enough for my 29g. I gassed many of my fish to death before the first night I had it set up, so I highly recommend putting an airstone on a timer to turn on when your lights turn off.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
BTW, I think I have the same fixture (T5NO, right?), except I have two of them. With three bulbs going, I *have* to have co2 on or it becomes an algae farm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.