The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought 2 things of dwarf hair grass about 5 months back. They have not grown at all, and if anything they have only browned and gotten smaller, i will post my tank specks below:

20 gallon
Aquaticlife T5HO, 48 watts total.
Penn plax 500 canister filter
2x 2 liter DIY Yeast CO2 bottles with line in canister filter.
100% Flourite dark
I dose the flourish line when i see fit to keep everything in balance.
1 25% water change per week.

So what am i doing wrong? I can post a picture if that will help?

I waited a whole year for this plant and now i am to the point where i am thinking of just ripping it out!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and i have:

female betta
2 baby adolfi corys
1 Honey gourami
2 small SAE
6 black skirt tetra
4 neon tetra
3 ottos

*I know its way over stocked, this is a temp. tank for most of the inhabitants.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Aquaticlife T5HO, 48 watts total.
2x 2 liter DIY Yeast CO2 bottles with line in canister filter.
100% Flourite dark
I dose the flourish line when i see fit to keep everything in balance.

Looks like you have everything in place.

Now to dig deeper. Do you have a drop checker? What is that reading? With it being 20gal I would prob drop the DYI and go straight excel.

How high is the hight from the substrate?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also dose half cap every other day of excel...

The light is just sitting on its legs on the tank, so it is 17 inches from the substrate. I know it alot of light and i had some algae problems at first so added some salvinia natans on the one side of the tank (opposite side of the DHG)

Sadly i have no drop checker, i've wanted to get one but have no way of getting one...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sadly i have no drop checker, i've wanted to get one but have no way of getting one...

Well you can do a hardness test and a pH test to come up with a co2 ppm. Do you have a hardness test? and Ph test?

You see you really need to know HOW much co2 you're putting into your tank, the DHG needs it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True enough, i have a PH on the lower side of 7, just tested, but i don't have the best kit, it doesn't have exact PH read, only basics like: 1,2,3,4 etc. lol

I'm assuming 7 is neutral as most of the fish require a PH of 7?

I haven't a hardness test though...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Get yourself a true tester. pH/gH

Test the water out of Tap. If you are running DIY and your pH is 7 then your water out of the tap must be 8+ or you're not injecting enough co2 into the system. Typically with co2 injection your pH will lower 5 to 6 point. Example Without Co2 7.4 with co2 6.8.

So you really need an acurate measuring stick. Co2 might be your issue.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sadly i cannot buy one up here, but i do know my tap water is very, very hard water.
Its closer to a 9.
Wow that sux...Sorry. On the bright side though, You can start a Cichlid tank!!!

How did you get your other supplies then>?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered from bigalonline, but they no longer ship up here. And i can pay $100 for one at the LFS. but there is really no way i will be doing that. lol

Haha thanks, maybe i will consider that, i am planning on a angelfish tank, so that will work out well! lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
And i can pay $100 for one at the LFS. but there is really no way i will be doing that. lol
You mean a pH/gH test kit would be 100.00 There? Can this LFS order stuff for you? You can't use Ebay?
UPS / FedEx?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
With your high light and co2, I would guess that your Nitrate, Phosphate and Potassium are probably near 0 if you are dosing per instructions on the Flourish line. Here is what they should be.

Nitrates 10-20ppm
Phosphates 1.0-2.0 ppm
Potassium 10-20 ppm

If you read the "expert" directions on the Flourish bottles, it will tell you how to raise to these parameters. If you do not have Nitrate or Phosphate test kits, you will need them. There is a sticky with directions on ei dosing, and links to places to buy the ferts. They will be much cheaper than the Flourish kind.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ebay does not ship up here, no companies that ship using fed ex, canada post etc, allow me to order because of the shipping costs.

The LFS Up here has no competition since the other pet store went out of business (thank god, as they were selling pups from puppy mills) and so this store still in business has bumped everything up even further to double the asking price, and many times more. For example a simple walmart 10 gallon aquarium at this petstore sells for $90. Instead of $25

I am going through some algae problems (ie. Staghorn, hard brown and hair algae) so i haven't been doing very much ferts lately to try and combat that...I know i am probably doing something wrong with getting rid of the algae though...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And yes, when i bought the plants and planted them i broke them up into small pieces (you can see page 7 of my 20 gallon planted tank link) and now only have a few grass strands per clump.

I have tryed to trim them a few times till only an inch or less was left.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was only able to overcome algae when I began to fertilize appropriately. You cannot run a high light, co2 injected tank without the correct ferts, or you get an algae farm. I have been doing planted tanks for 8 years. I gave up and tore them down many times because I could not defeat BBA. Even when I started this tank, the BBA started again, must be in the water. With good co2 and raising my Nitrogen, phosphates and potassium up to where the EI says they should be, I have no bad algae in my tank at time.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm...Well i just dosed as recommended now, will try that again.

I was dosing regualrly and had a schedule going on, but thats when the algae started!

I am just getting mixed answers and all my research all differs as well. haha

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.