The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I recently started by quick research on planted aquarium and decided to have one.. Brought Few Dwarf hair grass and normal hairgrass online.. And used6500k but 7watt bulb No Co2 tank is small so thought not needed than i saw the hairgrass was turning bushy but some of it was melting down .. i was not able to understand what was i doing wrong than i started DIy Co2 and giving them minerals all sortof.. And changed the lighting from 7w to 9w 6500k tell me what am i doing wrong? Giving them 8hours of light

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not a tank though its a 3gallon Wine Shape bowl.. Bout liquid fertz online amazon pack of 6 containing minerals, all sortof plantfood and iron also also has co2replcmnt in it.... Minerals are sufficient dosing as prescribed each day.... Either Co2 is a prob ( using DIY co2 and belive it should be enough for 3gallon ) or the Soil is not enough.. kindly tell is 2inches soil is enough? Becoz below that for Filling up the space i used the normal green decorative Sand for a better look ..

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
2 inches of soil is plenty. It could be the diy co2- it's impossible to truly regulate it, but I have used diy co2 a lot without issue. That being said, I've never used it on anything smaller than 10 gallons. I've also never tried to do carpet in the setting you're attempting. It's going to bed difficult keeping things balanced in such a small setting and if you're going without a filter or flow you're most likely going to need to spot treat delicate shorter plants as the taller plants are going to get access to nutrients before the ones that might need it more get to use it resulting in a lot of algae.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recently ordered a biofilter for the flow... Currently using an airstone.. and kindly clear my one more doubt.. if i am giving fertz and all from top as liquid than does it matter that after 2 inches of soil i have 1 inch of normal fancy green sand on it?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It shouldn't. I have done many sand capped tanks without issues. I currently have non dwarf hair grass starting to carpet in a sand capped patch in my nano. As I've said, though, I've never tried growing dwarf hair grass in non high tech settings so I don't have experience with low tech DHG.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.