The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is my 1st time to do a dry start for Dwarf Hair Grass, I got the seeds from china.

The setup is in a 6 Gal Nano tank with a Siroka 18W LED light at about a 10 hour cycle with a PAR of 35 - 45. For Soil it is straight forward Aqua Soil.
I also spray this every morning with water treated with some fertilizer. And the top is covered with cling wrap and a small hole left open so it can breath.

Day 1

I planted it and spread it around like so.
Temp here is about 28 - 31C
Humidity is 90%>

Day 2

The seeds have some sort of puffy thing in the tip.
Also there is some brownish algae on my tree which I just remove with a tooth brush.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Day 3

It has sprouted 1 blade of grass per seed and left the casing. The puffy thing also seems to be picking up the moisture as well.
The algae showed up on the tree again which i just removed with toothbrush.

@ 11am

@4pm

I'm so amazed by the growth of the grass!
So pretty!

Day 4

Blades are now at 3 - 5cm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this stage my questions to the pros here are:

1. Should i be concerned about the algae that grows on my tree. How do I reduce this occurrence?

2. Can I keep the light on longer? Like 16 or 24 hours?

3. And any other advice at this point?

4. How long should I wait till I start to immerse it? Please note I don't plan on using CO2 as well.

I also hope it's really Dwarf Hair Grass? Can anyone help identify this?

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Unfortunately almost all the seeds from China sold as dwarf hair grass aren't only not dwarf hair grass they're usually not even aquatic. They typically grow like crazy for a while and then die off and cause a huge mess. Look at the size of the seeds you got. They are larger than a dhg plant! I would expect dhg seeds to be extremely small. Those things look the size of a lot of lawn grass seeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately almost all the seeds from China sold as dwarf hair grass aren't only not dwarf hair grass they're usually not even aquatic. They typically grow like crazy for a while and then die off and cause a huge mess. Look at the size of the seeds you got. They are larger than a dhg plant! I would expect dhg seeds to be extremely small. Those things look the size of a lot of lawn grass seeds.
oh damn, have you been able to grow DHG seeds? What did your seeds look like?

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't want to discourage you from trying, but like Kubla said, probably not DHG. The roots to me look way longer than any of my DHG. If you can, I'd recommend getting a tissue culture cup of DHG and starting this over.

I'd also recommend waiting to put the wood in until you're ready to fill the tank. That way you won't have to clean the "algae" off of it all the time. Maybe just soak it in a bucket next to the tank until you're ready.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I believe that is seeds of oat grass sold for cats to eat. So they half ripped you off, they Will grow a grass like substance.. out of water. When you submerge them it will get weedy, then strangle, die and rot, making a goopy mess.

Such a shame, since youve set everything up so nicely!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe that is seeds of oat grass sold for cats to eat. So they half ripped you off, they Will grow a grass like substance.. out of water. When you submerge them it will get weedy, then strangle, die and rot, making a goopy mess.

Such a shame, since youve set everything up so nicely!
I know it is quite infuriating. I'll try to see if it will live for a week submerged. My daughter is already bugging me to get the tank started, in case you didnt notice it is a SpongeBob tank :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
There's a Dwarf Spikerush seed seller in Minnesota called Prairie Moon that sells several types of hairgrass seeds and even Swordplants. The thing with these North American Spikerush seeds is they need to be preconditioned in a ziplock, partially filled with sand and kept in a fridge at 41~38 F. degrees for a couple months before planting. If you want decent percentages of sprouting. Better to get some In-Vitro DHG and plant it in tiny tufts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts