The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am new to planted tanks. I was planning on doing a little planted scape to my aquarium. Currently I have lots of jungle val for the corner and background, java fern on a driftwood and a little patch of dwarf sag in one corner. I just ordered a bunch of DHG and wanted to carpet the rest of the unplanted area with that. I have read and heard about how it is best to plant the DHG (correct me if im wrong but "take as little hair as possible and spread it as evenly and thickly as possible and then cut it to about 1 cm above the substrate.") I have a sand substrate so I plant to use osmocote root tabs for my substrate but I do not know what water column fertilzer/s to use. I know I can't use florish excel because it melts the jungle val I have.

Do you have any advice for me? What would be very good water column fertilizer for DHG as well as my jungle val, java fern and dwarf sag?

P.S. I can't grow it emersed because the tank already established.

Thanks!!

Tank size: 10 gal
Lighting : 2 x 23 watt 6500k cfl with clip on desk lamps
DIY CO2
Sand Substrate with Osmocote root tabs

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
You are pretty close on how to plant DHG. There is a video on YouTube that shows that step by step. I think it's by Green Machine?

Fertilization wise, do read stickies at the top of Fertilization section of this forum - there is more info there then anybody needs :).

v3

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
No need to cut it when you first plant it. Let it get established first and form some runners before you trim it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The greenmachine is where i learned how to plant these. I am new to this forum. What are stickies?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice set ups Monster and Hybridherp. What fertilizers do you guys use for your tanks?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After doing some research about dry ferts, I was thinking may be NPK and CSM + B. Do you think that is a good idea?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
After doing some research about dry ferts, I was thinking may be NPK and CSM + B. Do you think that is a good idea?
Add a separate source of chelated iron and GH booster if your water is soft and you should be set.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thought I'd post here instead of opening a new thread.

I did DSM with some DHG for about 3 weeks, everything was lush and green. Shortly after filling the tank EVERYTHING started yellowing. After filling, I am doing basic Seachem Flourish Dosing
http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

Some of the DHG patches are sprouting new green shoots, should I be going in and trimming all yellowing grass, leaving only the new green shoots?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
What kind of substrate are you using? The emersed grass will slowly die back but since the grass is already established, new growth should pop up quick. Injecting CO2 will speed up the process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm using Mr. Aqua aquarium soil (was unable to get my hands on ADA AS), but I do have some OSMO+ root tabs under the substrate.

I'm only dosing Excel for my co2 needs, hope it all comes together. The yellowing of the DHG was immediate and only a day or 2 after filling. should i trim the yellow blades or let it work itself back?

btw, thanks for all your help, TPT has really been a blessing (all the tips) and a curse (always tempting me to spend more $)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Excel might work, depending on how strong your light is. Not sure about Mr. Aqua aquarium soil but the osmocote+ should be alright. How big of a tank is this and how many osmocote+ capsules did you use? Though the fact that the leaves turned yellow shortly after flooding is probably a cause for concern. Whenever I'd flood my dwarf hairgrass after a dry start, the emersed grass would still survive under water for quite some time. When they finally did start to die off, the plant had already shot up fully aquatic leaves.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, i'm thinking i may have just lost most of my DHG and wasted a 3 week DSM...

it's actually a Fluval Spec V, i have about 10 capsules of osmo+ under the substrate. The Mr. Aqua soil seems to be a bootleg version of ADA AS, and is my first time using it. hard to find reviews on it, but some say it has similar properties to ADA AS. throughout the DSM, the DHG tripled in density..but flooding the tank did it in (probably 90% started yellowing quickly)

I'll see what I can save and maybe consider a less tricky carpet plant (if that exists). thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You used too many Osmocote+. The ammonia from the osmocote+ probably burned your grass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You used too many Osmocote+. The ammonia from the osmocote+ probably burned your grass.
dammit, i see. so after filling, the ammonia probably seeped out and killed it all off...

GEEZ! so i'm guessing large water changes are needed for the next couple of days....thanks for the input. lots of work ahead of me!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Some of the grass might have survived. Do some more water changes as you suggested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many osmocote tabs would be good? Like for say 10 gal. Is one osmocote for 2-3 bunch alright? And I'm saying osmocote, not osmocote plus since I heard osmocote has very little or no ammonia compared to plus?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts