The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I don't have a car so I can't travel out of Olympia,Lacey,or Tumwater.I'm looking for a breeder of dwarf guaramies that has raised many healthy generations of this fish.When I buy them at Petsmart they all die whithin a month or two.I've read about dwarf guaramie disease & I want locally healthy bred dwarf guaramies.Thank you!

·
Registered
434 Posts
not to come off as a dick, but are you sure its the fish? is your tank cycled, the proper size, proper filter/temp, etc. also you may have better luck in the regional postings.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my water is perfect for dwarf guaramies,soft,acidic,& clean.I test it regularly.I have good filtration.If you research the web you will see a lot of people can't keep them alive for long because of dwarf guaramie disease.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm subscribing to this thread. I've been keeping tanks for almost 15 years, and I couldn't keep a gourami alive for more than a few weeks, either. I'd really like to have a couple or three again, but was (coincidentally) just thinking last night that as much as I'm tempted to try it again, my luck they'd die quickly. Meanwhile, other species that the LFS won't carry because they never "last very long" will thrive in my tank for years. GO FIGURE!
ANyway - not to hijack your wanted thread, but I'm subscribing in case someone does have a good lead. I'll get in line behind "moss" for a few fish!

... PS... mine were all from Petsmart as well, when I used to live in the Chicago suburbs. Could be the supplier in general for "big chain store" where we have had our problems with them, moss. Who knows. I moved to Indiana 7 yrs ago and haven't tried a Gourami again in those 7 yrs since I've been here. But then again, my choices for buying them are "big chain store".

·
Welcome to Algaeville
161 Posts
I purchased 2 Gouarmi's at Petco a while back and they didn't last long. At first they were active and then one just stared into the corner of the tank an didn't move and eventually appeared to be paralyzed and getting blown around by the current of the filter and was soon dead. A week later the other gourami was staring into the corner and that story ended the same way. It wasn't until this happened I read into Dwarf Gourami disease. That experience ruined those fish for me. I'd get any gourami except the dwarfs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
my water is perfect for dwarf guaramies,soft,acidic,& clean.I test it regularly.I have good filtration.If you research the web you will see a lot of people can't keep them alive for long because of dwarf guaramie disease.
Didn't mean to come off insulting...without any clue if this is your first time keeping fish or not I figured I'd make sure the basics were covered!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's cool.I've been fishkeeping for 10+ years.I can keep a lot of other fish species alive.It's just the dwarf guaramies that I'm having trouble with.That is just fine Geminiluna.Maybe we can find some healthy dwarfs.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I haven't had good experience with wetspot customer service. They lag on replying to emails after I told them about DOA, and they don't seem like they're going to do anything about it. Shipping was not cheap either, I ship all the time, I definitely overpaid. -.-

Anyway, I have 2 dwarf honey gouramis, that I have kept for a few months with no problems. Are you talking about those type of gouramis or a specific type? I never knew about dwarf gourami disease nor did I know they were hard to keep alive. =/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm talking about the neon & powder blue colisa lalia dwarf guaramies.I'm not sure if the honey guaramies get the disease or not.If you look on wetwebmedia.com they talk about dwarf guaramie disease.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also had a problem with a dwarf gourami. In the past year, it is the only fish that has died on me... It sounds like the fish industry really needs to work on this breed

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I've had a powder blue for about a month now and he nice and healthy. I got him from the LFS. Maybe you should try getting them from somebody else. I imagine that petco and petsmart get there fish from breeders that breed them in mass quantities, so the disease might be spreading pretty easily. Try a priviate breeder who knows they're fish well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.