The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ya it's taking over my tank but in a good way. I don't mind. It has runners all over the place. It is so explosive I'm trying to introduce it to my Oscar tank. I wanna see If it can handle that low of light. I have seen a video online that shows a guy growing it year round in a pond in Wisconsin hahaha yer round seems hardy to me

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If by Dwarf Grass you mean Mondo grass, I'd stay away from it as it is a bog plant. Just not a smart option for a tank.
I meant Dwarf hairgrass I am not sure if that's Mondo you're tlaking about.

Dwarf sag is pretty easy and hardy... and a lot will say invasive. A word of caution.. A lot of folks find it is not so dwarf. High light is crows compact but in my tank it reaches about 9 inches tall
Yes, I saw some pictures, they don't really look dwarf to me. WOWWWW....9 inches??? that's more like Giant Sag, not Dwarf. :biggrin:

Ya it's taking over my tank but in a good way. I don't mind. It has runners all over the place. It is so explosive I'm trying to introduce it to my Oscar tank. I wanna see If it can handle that low of light. I have seen a video online that shows a guy growing it year round in a pond in Wisconsin hahaha yer round seems hardy to me
Yes, I saw some on youtube, they runner seem pretty nice to create carpet like.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Dwarf Hairgrass (DHG) will do "ok" in lower-light tanks. However, higher light coupled with carefully trimming will carpet the DHG out and give it nice rich green coloring. Usually carpeting DHG is the desired effect. I've seen some good photos of DHG growing wildly in low-tech tanks ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have DHW right now in a semi planted tank with cichlids. only 2 t5 bulbs 1 red and one 6500k directly on top of the tank about 2 inches max away from the water. (dont know if this is low light or what) But its growing and sending runner quite fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.