The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got one hoping that it will eat some of the scuds in this tank.
Didn't want anything like an Oscar. I have micro Tetra etc.
But how long to leave in the store bag floating in the tank to
acclimate the temp ? My tanks run @75F-76F till it's warmer in the room
due to summer. So I'm fairly sure it's a big change from the store.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I usually only float about 20 min's for small bags. I'm concerned that being in the bag is more stressful than letting them out into water that may be a degree or two different. Obviously, the larger the bag, the longer it would need to float. I open a hole and slowly let it some tank water during the floating period. It is not as good as drip acclimating, but for most 'store bought' fish it works. If the fish is rare, I would only drip acclimate.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The thing is you really do not want the water from the store to get into your aquarium. Therefore I would suggest slowly adding water from your aquarium into your bad. this will help acclimate not only to temp, but to the pH level and maybe even other attributes of your water without contaminating your water. Then just use a net to add it to the water. A dwarf should be pretty good at eating the scuds.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Quarantine tank.
Test the water in the bag: GH, KH, pH, TDS.
Make the Q-tank water match the water in the bag.
Float to equalize temperature, and add small amounts of tank water to the bag. No matter how carefully you have matched the parameters it won't be perfect. Can drip acclimate by arranging to drip tank water into the bag instead of small scoops. When the volume in the bag has doubled the temperature is probably equalized.
Net the fish out of the bag and throw away the store water.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.
Since I've never done anything very exotic(expensive) I never have drip acclimated.
Theoretically the only difference in the water should be from the blackwater extract
that I add. The local water is a blessing as it's usually 7-7.3 PH though I do know a spot where it's 6.4.
I checked the tank a few times and after adding the Blackwater Extract it's 6.8.
But I don't like dumping the pet shop water in my tank either so I cut the bag over a net and transfer the fish in that to the tank after the bag has floated for a while.
I read somewhere that the regular Guromi eat Duckweed. Hope that holds true for the Dwarf.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I read somewhere that the regular Guromi eat Duckweed. Hope that holds true for the Dwarf.
Gourami will eat any plant in my experience. It just depends on what they want that week. Some months I can keep creeping jenny in the tank, but this month my gourami have eaten half of the leaves off of the stems. I should put some zuchini and other vegetables in the tank for them more often. That way they will just rearrange my plants and maybe not eat them.:frown2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.