The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the proper place for this. I'm wondering about the compatibility of Dwarf Gouramis and live plants.

I’ve just received a 20 G tank as a present and am thinking about what kinds of fish to stock in it. It’s already up and running; I’ve added TSS and water + filter media from my established 5 G to help jumpstart the cycle. I’m still waiting for a shipment of plants that should come in next week, hoping by then the tank is well on its way to being cycled.

I’m fairly set on having a school of Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, and some Otocinclus. They fit right within my filtration capacity according to Aqadvisor.

Hoping that heavy planting will add to my filtration, I’ve been looking at Dwarf Gouramis and have been considering adding one to the stock. My main concern, other than overstocking, is that there have been a few reports of the gouramis tearing and up rooting plants and I’m wondering if this is common. Does it happen with most? Is there anyway to lessen the possibility of it happening?

I’m more worried for my plants since they did cost quite a bit. I’ll be fine without the gourami, not 100% sold on it. Other than those concerns, I’m open to stocking suggestions/ opinions!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Male DG's will rip your plants up to build nests for about 2 months over summer if given the chance.
They are great the other 10 months of the year.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Keep in mind that the nests they build aren't terribly huge so the disturbance to the plants isn't massive, they will pick at plants from time to time and some algae as well, but again it's minor. As to space I have one with a German blue ran and a dozen or so Tetra in25g with no issues

·
Registered
108 Posts
One of my dwarf gourami's (I have 5) built a small nest over the last few weeks with plant material. I couldn't tell where the plant bits came from so they don't use much material at all. I pick out more myself every week as part of maintenance. They haven't uprooted anything in my planted 45g.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Uhuh, he is still inexperienced. Mine increased the size of plants as the season progressed.
I have qu000 ite a long thread about it on here somewhere, the photos are gone though. Check my post from about Dec2003 to Feb2004.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Male dwarf gourami will shred some more delicate plants to use the plant matter to make their bubble nests, they are also reported to eat floaters like amazon frogbit. I'm unsure if it truly helps but someone once suggested leaving some floating stems (anacharis, water sprite, ludwigiga, what ever) at the surface and the gourami could use that instead of wrecking the aquascaped plants.
When I have a dwarf gourami he didn't bother my plants (but I had firmer plants like anubias, swords, and java fern).

Depending on your pH you could look at a mouth brooding gourami species (like chocolate-rarer to find though) instead as they don't bother the plants.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dwarf gourami hasn't touched my plants. He's in a 34 gallon with a pearl gourami, 6 corys, and 3 dwarf neon rainbows. I had read a lot about them being agressive with other gouramis, but I have never personally experienced this in a heavily planted tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great advice guys :)) If it's a seasonal thing and they don't cause too much havoc, I might consider getting one. My little sister fell in love with the idea that they're able to spit water haha. I'll definitely wait till some of my plants grow stronger roots though.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you want a gourami but don't want them to mess with your plants go with honey's A bit smaller, but they don't use plants to build their nests and are way more peaceful. You can keep them in groups as well if you want

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want a gourami but don't want them to mess with your plants go with honey's A bit smaller, but they don't use plants to build their nests and are way more peaceful. You can keep them in groups as well if you want
Ohhh I'll see if my LFS carries them :D. Last time I went, they seemed to have some powder blue, flames, and pearl gouramis. Don't remember the names of the rest. Thanks for the tip!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/4015-its-seems-season-3.html

You may enjoy this thread, the awesome pictures are long time gone sadly.
You'd have to imagine me much cleverer and with long hair and youth...
Will definitely check it out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts