The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of putting a dwarf gourami, as my centerpiece fish in my 36 gallon, along with two anglefish, 6 serpas, 2 glassbloodfins, 1 pleco and 6 cardinals...is this a good mix, or myabe no???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, the Dwarf won't be the cause of the problems but it almost certainly will have problems. I would bet on the Serpaes taking a few shots at those nice long fins and feelers. They are not going to terrorize it but most certainly will take the occasional nip, just enough to keep a little bit of stress in its life.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAHAHA yea, they try to do that with my anglefish, but he just smacks them with his fins

·
Registered
663 Posts
I put a couple sparkling pygmy gouramis in my 56 gallon; they are REALLY meek and dainty fish. It took awhile for them to feel safe enough to venture out from behind the plants and mix with the other fish. I have Emperor tetras, Espe's rasboras, Apistos, Otocinclus', shrimp, and a clown pleco in there, nothing to harm the gouramis. The dwarf gourami is probably not as timid, they're bigger for one.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do the gouramis prefer to be with more than on eof its species???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not really. Most Gouramis do fine with just a single specimen. Dwarf Gouramis do fine in groups but a group is not necessary. You only start running into problems with gouramis when you get more than one male of the regular size grouamis, the only exception to that is the Pearl Gourami. With Dwarfs this is not a problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Egglayers in bubblenests: http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anabantids2/p/dwarfgourami.htm

I noticed you also have a pleco in your tank. Is it one of the smaller ones? If it's a common or one of the others that get bigger than 5 inches it will either be to large for your tank or really push your stocking limits.

Patricia

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its definatly a common, pleco, what should id o with it once it grows to big for my tank throw it out....????

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Had Serpaes at one point. We were not sad when they succumbed to a tank disaster :icon_evil .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts