The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Likely due to his wonderfully inquisitive nature and somewhat lack of brain cells, my dwarf gourami managed to scrape the top of his head on something. While I stare at my tank trying to figure out what exactly he injured himself on and how to fix it, what's the best course of action?

He's missing two patches of scales and in one small area it looks like he broke the skin.

Just keep the tank warm and clean? He's been otherwise healthy and happy, and has been full of attitude, even with the injury.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Warm clean tank and he should heal fine. Could have bonked his head on the hood (if there is one) or heater. My old dwarf powder blue dwarf gourami liked to sleep by the heater.. he got burned by it once then found a new sleeping spot (healed up fin within a week or so).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Open wounds are more vulnerable to infections, but yeah clean, healthy water and he'll heal up just fine.

Kordon Ich Attack/Rid Fungus (same ingredients) are safe and would prevent infections and/or cure infections.

Melafix would work the same, but with labyrinth fish you need to be cautious with the dosage. There is Bettafix which is a diluted down solution of Melafix, but you could just dose a weaker dose of Melafix if you wanted. Just to be safe I would rather use one of the Kordon herbal meds above.

Or some salt might help.

The meds (I just mentioned ones that in my opinion are the safest/gentlest ones to use) are not necessary though as long as the water is good and the fish would heal perfectly fine.

I had a Arowana that would knock off scale frequently and he always healed up quickly with no issues. It was a bit annoying though, as the scales regrow fast, but the color of the new scales would always be a different shade (noticeable) and take quite some time to blend back in.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Gourami was upset I cleaned the tank instead of feeding him again. I've got Kordon Ich Attack, so I'm treating with that as well. I'll hold off on the salt, I'm not sure how the tankmates would handle it, but as he's already looking better with a full belly and clean water, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Bump:
Warm clean tank and he should heal fine. Could have bonked his head on the hood (if there is one) or heater. My old dwarf powder blue dwarf gourami liked to sleep by the heater.. he got burned by it once then found a new sleeping spot (healed up fin within a week or so).
Aren't fish brilliant sometimes? I think he might have wedged himself under the heater or the riparium planter I had in there. I took the planter out, replaced it with some stems stuck through some foam. No idea if that will work out, but it'll be a bit softer for the bonehead.

He's not pouting under a second rip planter I have in there, fortunately I don't think he can hurt himself on that one. I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.