The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking down the road I would like to get a dwarf gourami for my 45. The tank will be densely planted and there will be guppies and ghost shrimp. I may end up with otos as well. Will a dwarf gourami work in such a tank? Will its quality of life be diminished? Obviously if it won't do well I won't get one. If it would have a good life in my tank though I would like to plan ahead for it. Also do they do well in planted tanks? Will they tear plants apart or uproot them? Please let me know your experiences with them, especially in 45 gallon tanks give or take. Thank you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
They should do fine in a 45 as far as space goes. If you get a male they may get a bit agressive with any really colorful male guppies. Females are hard to get, but are much more community friendly. I have a pair of females in a 55, with a school of emperor tetras, and a school glowlight danios. They do great in there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. I assume one can't keep a male and female in a 45 due to territory issues though perhaps the plants would help that? Either way at least I can get one. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
306 Posts
There are other small Gourami that don't have aggression issues. Honey Gourami come to mind.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
Dwarf Gourami female are mostly always pure silver. You won't see them in stores more often than not. They will be fine in there. The will almost certainly pick off some shrimp, and guppy fry. Gourami are little predators and they are used to maneuvering through foliage and hunting. Much like bettas.

I believe the Honey Gourami @Griznatch mentioned are a little less aggressive than even the dwarves.

But with 45g you can get a couple Dwarves, when young they will hang out together for a good time until the realize that they are the largest in the tank and then there will be some territory issues. But 2 should be okay. If you get females, the males get aggressive during spawning.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know. I definitely don't need aggression in there. Thank you

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had (2) dwarf Gouramis in a 30 gallon planted tank for nearly a couple years along with (2) Honey Gouramis, (5) Cherry Barbs, (4) Corys and (4) Otos and all have been getting along fine. I recently lost (1) of the dwarf Gouramis soon after setting up CO2 injection system into the aquarium. Could be the dwarf was not well or maybe just not getting enough O2 during the initial change period but was not sure so I added an airstone to provide a bit more O2 to the tank and all of the fish have loved the shower of air bubbles ever since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts