The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my first post so thanks in advance for the help

I just got a 30 gallon tank off craigslist and I've never had one before. I did a fishless cycle for about a week and then i decided to get 5 zebra danios in it to speed up the process and they've been in it for about a week now. They all seem to be doing fine. I don't really want these fish in my tank though because they seem really hyper and I don't want to stress out my fish so I plan on giving them away soon.

My question is whether a blue dwarf gourami would be okay with about 7 neon/cardinal tetras in a 30 gallon hex? I've asked around but have gotten mixed responses. My only real concern is that my tank is a hex so it's not all that lond/wide. Its dimensions are 22" high by 18" across on all 3 sides. I think the surface area is probably only equivalent to about a 15 gallon regular tank so I'm going to stock it accordingly.

Any advice or concerns? Thanks!

Oh and happy thanksgiving :proud:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think that will be fine. Are you going to add plants? If you are then that should be good. Also if I was you I would get two Gouramis and seven tetras. But if you do get plants or decor leave more room towards the middle and top of the tank. So the Gouramis can have some room to swim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi thanks for responding!

well i have some anacharis in there right now but i don't think its going to live with my low 20 watt light. i have plenty of fake plants in there that reach almost to the top though. the middle of the tank has some cool lava rock which creates lots of little hiding places and caves.

there should be plenty of swim space at the top for them. and ya i would definitely get a second gourami but i can't find any females in my area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If your looking for a female you can go on aquabid.com. But females are dull they are gray. Just like guppies males look nice females are gray. I would rather get another male. Also if you are trying to breed gouramis you will need about of floating plants. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.