The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was really surprised to see a scrap between these two fish in the tank last night. They really became vicious for about 30 seconds with them both parting ways, with the gourami sporting a nip out of its snout. I never would have thought these two very dissimilar species would spar and this has happened after a month or so in the tank together.

They postured at each other a few times before lights out. Territorial behaviour I suppose? I guess one must be removed or would this straighten out is my question? What are your thought? Tanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I guess one must be removed or would this straighten out is my question? What are your thought? Tanks
Gouramis will 'throw down' on anything in the tank if it feels threatened. (I've been looking for a chance to say 'throw down'.) In my experience, they are best in a tank of smaller non threatening fish, or singular. If the Tapajo yields and the tank is very large, they might be ok together. The problem is this: I've never seen Gourami's yield to any fish. (Snake Heads and the like not included of course!) They will stop for a while, but always go back to the fight at some point. IME the fights will continue. I'd pull the Gourami out.

P.S. I play musical tanks with my Gouramis. Once they start getting nasty in one tank, I move them to another for a few months. Then I may move them back if they do it again. They typically don't fight until they know the tank well.

I have to add: I keep a dwarf Gourami with female Bettas and it seems to be a very good match. Both types respectful of the other's territory.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but may take out the cichlid instead. It is a single fish and was thinking of adding a few more, but am more inclined with planted over a " fish" tank.And want absolutely no breeding !! The dwarf is the only gourami in the tank as well. The intense red was a must fish. There was no chasing at all , just scrapped it out and as you say I would imagine it will continue.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thanks, but may take out the cichlid instead. It is a single fish and was thinking of adding a few more, but am more inclined with planted over a " fish" tank. The dwarf is the only gourami in the tank as well. The intense red was a must fish. There was no chasing at all , just scrapped it out and as you say I would imagine it will continue.
Be warned that many Gouramis tear up small and delicate plants to build nests. Mine have ripped stem plants right out to go in their bubble nests. Hair grass, etc, is fair game to them. If you have large leafed, well establish plants you will be fine. They tend to leave crypts and swords alone.

Bump: The Gourami in the back has a 5" long piece of plant it just stole away:

Bump: Sorry to keep adding to this post...but in that picture you see two dwarf G's together. They are separated now because of constant fights. Just FYI.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I still think don't like any chiclids except maybe some of the dwarves, like kribs, and rams.
I have 6 angelfishes and they are a nasty bunch, especially the alpha.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I brought the tapajo back yesterday because he just wasn't fitting in the tank. I was bringing it back earlier but was too late for the gourami. It happened at night I guess. The tapajo was getting territorial. I noticed he was chasing the clown barbs also. Never thought it would come to the demise of the dwarf though to be honest. Was looking for some rainbow cichlids or keyholes in exchange but there were none. Picked up a turquoise and irian red rainbowfish instead.

As a matter of fact, giving big consideration to replacing all he fish and going rainbowfish tank. With plants ofcourse !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts