The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
When cycling, a tank goes through spikes in ammonia and nitrItes before they zero out and nitrAtes show up. It can take several weeks to cycle a tank without feeding it a source of ammonia (straight ammonia or fish food, or actual fish, but I prefer fishless cycling because I think it's kinda and easier).

If the unfiltered tank the frogs were in previously was heavily planted and had a good biofilm developed on substrate, decor, etc., it was probably already cycled and balanced enough for the frogs' bioload. If that tank is still set-up, deeda's idea to transfer the frogs back there until your new tank is done cycling is a good one.

FYI, don't know about frogs but I think that cloudy eyes in fish is often a bacterial infection following on damage from bad water conditions, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You could try, to be on the safe side ... Is Tetracycline safe for filter bacteria? I'm not good at recommending meds, especially since I don't know herps. (I had a mini cycle just recently using two meds that were supposed to be filter-bacteria-safe.) You could also try adding Seachem stability to the new tank to speed up the cycle. But again: frog safe? don't know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts