The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I recently added my two african dwarf frogs to my planted tank. The tank is fairly new but I have kept the frogs in a smaller tank with no filtration for many years so I figured I was safe. The new tank is a 10 gallon planted tank with eco complete as the substrate. After about a week of being in the tank one frogs eyes have gone white. The frog is still very active and is eating. I have been taking daily water readings and all values are where they should be except the ph is a little high but just a little.

After reading many suggestions online to try Tetracycline I purchased the API Tetracycline and did a 4 day treatment of that. I didn't really notice any change in the milky eyes.

If anyone has any advice on how to properly treat my frog please let me know.

Thanks,
Nathan

View Larger:
http://i.imgur.com/i8HvPv3.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank probably hasn't cycled yet as it has only been up for 3 weeks. I thought a low nitrate level was good? I know nitrite should be 0 but isn't a 0 nitrate optimal but you have a bit more room to play with Nitrates?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The old tank is still setup so I will move the frog back over. Do you think I should try another treatment of Tetracycline, or maybe something else?

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I added some of my father's filter media to my tank to speed up the cycle. His tank has been established for several months so hopefully his bacteria will jump start my tank.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I moved the sick frog back to the original tank and began treating with Pimafix and Melafix. After three days I am still not seeing any sign of the frogs eyes healing and the frog seems to be floating more and less active. Not sure what else to try, the pimafix and melafix say to treat for up to 7 days so I guess I will continue and see what happens.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to give an update. The frogs eye remained a little cloudy but he had been doing fine. Must have been an ammonia spike. Wish I hadn't been so eager to add them to the tank before it had properly cycled. I learned my lesson the hard way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts