The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I noticed today my crayfish last a claw from molting. This crayfish has had his claws for the whole time I have had him. Today I noticed an empty shell, and what looked like one of the claws in the empty shell was still there. Then I saw the crayfish, and sure enough he had one of his claws gone.

What could've caused this? I have not changed anything besides add some new plants which I have rinsed, and they've been in there for 4 days now. I've added them to other tanks as well and no problems seen at all.

Other inhabitants would be other dwarf crayfish and two male endlers I added two days ago.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Possibly just difficulty with the molt, or it may have been attacked while in the process. Crayfish are sensitive to hormones released during molting, and will seek out molting individuals while they're vulnerable. No big deal as long as the cray survived, the claw will grow back.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol. I guess you've been following my stories lol. No cories in there. And that dwarf cray wasn't with the cories. On the other hand, the one that was with the cories has a gnarly looking dead claw. His pincers are gone but his joints are still intact but are pointing to the side rather than in front. I think he's in pain. He's grown them back twice already lol. Karma.

Yah I know it'll grow back again. Just wondered if this was a common phenomenon. I guess he got attacked. Do pregnant cray's still attack? That's the only one with no injuries and a full set of claws/legs right now lol.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My pregrant cray ATE her man!

I keep warning my hubby that I've got a grill and I know how to use it. LOL.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol. I wonder how the hell Milalic keeps his damn crays from eating eachother/snails/shrimps. My crays love anything besides Hikari Crab Bites or Hikari Algae Wafers. They go for it in the night but in the day they run away from it. Silly creatures.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yea, I think most everyone makes the mistake at first by having them in a community tank.

My blue cray ate the entire lower fin of a huge angel. Then I had to build it it's own habitat, and gave it a friend to play with. Of course, it ate that up after mating, and finally had to live all alone.

Mean little things. But oh soo pretty.

·
Registered
845 Posts
LOL I think Pedro spikes his water to keep them docile. hahaha J/K He's just got the magic touch! :)

Hey guys, we women can get a lil cranky when it comes to protecting our young and such. hahaha So she ate a few males, there are always plenty out there in the sea (or shall I say pond?). hahahahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.