The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into setting up a SA Dwarf Cichlid Biotope 5g tank. Now this is going to be for my mom. I am going to get all the supplies needed and cycle the tank using money from my new job. But I come across a dilema. What to get? Every site I came across said 10g's minimum but as of now I have no extra space for another 10g. I was hoping to try a pair of German Blue Rams or some sort of Rams as they are SA. Any one that has experience with keeping them in this size tank let me know what you think about keeping them in this size tank.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would not recommend rams or most apistos for a tank that small, they're just to aggressive. However Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis only max out at about an inch to an inch and a half, and if it was really heavily planted, you might get away with it. They aren't the prettiest cichlids in the world, but they have some of the usual apisto coloration.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I had a pair of rams in a ten gallon. They did ok, but I don't think I would put a pair in a ten gallon again, definitely not a 5. There is a reason that every site you came across said 10 gallon minimum, anything else is too small.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have to agree with yoink, I myself think a ten gallon is too small. I would go atleast a 20. But you probably didn't want to hear that. If I were you I would go for some killies. But if you insist on cichlids go to www.cichlid-forum.com, they will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've kept a small gold Ram in a 5G, I moved him to a bigger tank after about 3 weeks because they just don't get along with anything when cooped up. Maybe a small gourami would be better for a 5G if you want a single fish (betta, paradise fish, sparking gourami). They're less picky about water quality, don't dig and usually live better in small confines. Otheriwse killies or tiny non jumping loners like cherry barbs. If you don't need fish, you could make a pretty nice shrimp tank.

-Rich

·
Registered
449 Posts
Double & triple agree with the other posters: a FIVE gallon tank is too small. For a five gallon I would do a shrimp only tank w/ perhaps three male endlers or a betta tank.

I sure am puzzled, though, as to why you can squeeze in a 5g but not a 10g??? Five gal = 16" across front; Ten gal = 20" across the front. You actually only need to find FOUR more inches of table or shelf space. Any tank smaller than a ten and don't think tank - think NANO! Nano fish. Nano plants. Nano problems: ie., over heating, acurate dosing.

Is this tank going to be a surprise for your Mom? If not a surprise, perhaps she'd help with the planning and together find another room in the home to place a bigger tank. ;) A twenty long tank (30" x 12" x 12") is IDEAL for some dwarf cichlid pairs. It may take you a little more time to save for your equipment but I think it would definately be well worth it if you could do a larger tank. You've earned a lot of experience with your other tanks now and would most probably be able to succesfully set up and manage a bigger tank:proud: .

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I would consider 10g a minimum for rams pairs. Apistos need a bit more, they're a little more sensitive, aggressive and larger than rams.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Double & triple agree with the other posters: a FIVE gallon tank is too small. For a five gallon I would do a shrimp only tank w/ perhaps three male endlers or a betta tank.

I sure am puzzled, though, as to why you can squeeze in a 5g but not a 10g??? Five gal = 16" across front; Ten gal = 20" across the front. You actually only need to find FOUR more inches of table or shelf space. Any tank smaller than a ten and don't think tank - think NANO! Nano fish. Nano plants. Nano problems: ie., over heating, acurate dosing.

Is this tank going to be a surprise for your Mom? If not a surprise, perhaps she'd help with the planning and together find another room in the home to place a bigger tank. ;) A twenty long tank (30" x 12" x 12") is IDEAL for some dwarf cichlid pairs. It may take you a little more time to save for your equipment but I think it would definately be well worth it if you could do a larger tank. You've earned a lot of experience with your other tanks now and would most probably be able to succesfully set up and manage a bigger tank:proud: .
My mom knows and so I had given up on the cichlid Idea as you have brought good points. I will talk to my mom and see if she would be happy with a 20l and I will need to find a place(although unsure of where). Really every place in my house(except my room which is filled with books, movies, and cd's) has plants and I was trying to squeeze as big of a tank in the space. I will talk to my mom and see what she says on a 20L. I think she might not be so enthused but it will be worth it to see what she says.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts