The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apistogramma Borellii - Dwarf Cichlid
I really like the looks and what i have read thus far about this fish. I have always been a cichlid guy. since i have a live bearer tank. I am kind of looking for a fish that will possibly eat fry or small guppies. is this to much to ask?

:) anyways i plan on keeping amano shrimp and possibly other shrimp is this an issue with most dwarf?

potential stocking for this dwarf cichlid tank ( 55 gallon Planted tank )
-Bristlenose pleco and clown
-corys
-ottos
-and maybe some other fish, angels? gouramis?

I don't have any experience with dwarf cichlids at all, thats why im asking for ADVICE I am looking for some active colorful fish that potentially will help with population control to supplement the diet ;).

TANK DESCRIPTION-
Substrate- organic top soil ( miracle grow ), worm castings, also im looking for clay to use as an iron supplement. Capped with 2 inches of black gravel.
Light- Hagen GLO double fixture
Filter- XP3, with Power head
possible paintball co2 ( not in immediate future )
PLANTS- 2 Ruben swords, Sag grass, group of vals lining the background, Kompact, and crypts, moss etc. most plants will be clippings and plants from my 29 gallon that will have co2 and be a grow out tank. THANKS ALOT FOR THE HELP im just figuring out what direction I want to go with on my 55 gallon. VERY excited to get it going. also if you don't believe that my dwarf cichlid plan will work out, please shoot me some suggestions. I really love the look of rams but have heard they aren't great with shrimp and need very specific water conditions? im not to open to do anything out of the ordinary for water conditions and what not. IF THAT MAKES ANY SENSE lol. like i understand clean water...... u know? LOL SORRY ITS LATE. appreciate all the ideas :fish:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Are you wanting a pair of a apistos or a single fish?

When Apistos breed they will be pretty aggressive towards the other fish, so thats something to keep in mind when it comes to angels and gouramis.

I'm not for certain but they should be fine with shrimp. Young shrimp or those that are molting might be in danger though. Angelfish are more likely to make a meal of your shrimp than the apistos.

Borelli are a great choice, agassizii and cacatuoides are also commonly found in the hobby.

as dwarf cichlids go, right now my personal favorite are Bolivian Rams.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a pair necessarily, just some color. if i got one or a non pair. what other options would i have? would i be restricted to only dwarf cichlids in the tank. and then my regular maintenance crew? i guess im have some issues with all my stocking ideas?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm not sure how a single male apisto would do with other apisto males or with other fish like angels. Hopefully someone with more experience with apistos can answer that.

I have a single bolivian ram in my 29 with angels and they me each mind their own business aside from feeding times. I did have a second male ram in the tank and they each had claimed their own half of the tank. Then I rescaped and the ram I have left took over the tank and forced the other ram into a corner. I tried to save it by moving him to another tank, but it didn't work out unfortunately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.