The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dwarf Checkered Loach - New Addition

1411 6
I stopped by a local aquarium just to browse around and possibly add more Rummy Nose Tetras to my current low stock (had some jumpers and oldies). They had a lot of them,then these caught my attention right away! I never seen them in person, and I had to have them. They were so active and very cool swimming together, nice and fat also. I picked up 5, because they would school better. They are now acclimated and settled now in their new home with sterbai and similus corys, 2 otos, and 3 rummy nose tetras.

Here's a short video of them from the fish store
https://youtu.be/1G-vyQ1IW9U

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any loach has my attention more than movies or music. Spaz antics. Where was thjs aquarium that you could buy fish, or was it a store?
Pictures of their new home?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
The aquarium store is called Albany Aquarium in Albany, CA. Great place for planted tanks and nano fish. I haven't had the time to take photos of them yet. will post tmr

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple quick shots, just your basic iphone quality photos. excuse the dirty glass. It was pretty hard to take a photo of them, they move way too fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I don't like the little guys...
I've kept them in groups as small as 5, all the way up to a large group of 30, still I would see nipped fins on Corys and guppies. I would see them do it with my own eyes sometimes. Little guys were well fed and all. I've even kept them in understocked tanks with corys and they still would nip fins occasionally. I've kept them in different conditions and ruled out possible causes for them to nip and my conclusion is that it's their natural behavior. I like my tanks to be peaceful with no hurt fish, so the dwarf chains had to go.

Even though they are small, they have that fin nipping tendency in my experience. And I'm no stranger to loaches. I try to stick with the peaceful loaches and I've kept similar larger bodied Botias, like B. kubotai, B. striata, B. histrionica, and Chromobotia macracanthus (clown loahces) in the same conditions and they would not both anyone. Even the larger identical linear loach, Ambastaia nigrolineata, wouldn't nip.

By the way, if you want to research more on them, their common name is usually Dwarf Chain Loach
Ambastaia sidthimunki ? Dwarf Chain Loach (Botia sidthimunki, Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) ? Seriously Fish

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Waterlife. I figured the name was a little off, but that's how the aquarium had them labeled. I noticed it a bit chasing the cory and tetras, I thought they're following/mimicking the larger fish to school. So far, none of the tank mates looked stressed, in fact, it made all the other fish more active. But I'll keep monitoring their behavior and the fins of the fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.