The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
hmmmm....

Anyone have both dwarf chain loaches and nerite snails together? Anyone had issues with the loaches eating these snails?
I have six dwarf chain loaches and a lot of small pond snails and some others. I also, for a while had nerite snails.

One day I noticed that all big nerite snails just disappeared, and it wasn't until I noticed that my coffe grinder was hidden in a corner of my 180, that I understood why...

So, unless you will allow your dwarf chain loaches to swipe your coffe grinder, your nerite snails are safe with them. As any other snails, no matter what size, for, a dwarf chain loaches leave them alone.

If that would be different, then why am I hunting these snails for the last six month, and there's no end of them!?

P.S. My wife just mentioned that I took all these nerites back to the LFS because they continously kept spotting my tank with their white eggs...

Of course the question remains: why then these dwarf chain loaches dragged my coffe grinder into the tank.....?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I kept a group of 48 sids together and never once did they even look at a snail. I have taken photos of sids and snails on the same driftwood. Your nerites will be fine.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have 5 chain loaches that I bought specifically because some here suggested that they would control my blooming snail population - mostly MTS.

In a few days all snails were off of the glass. One week later and it was hard to find any on the driftwood, or inthe substrate. There are still some, but there's no question that the Chains are in control

AB

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Maybe it depends on their diets whether they will go after small snails. Mine were fed mainly bloodworms, live white worms and micro worms to keep them in good condition hoping to breed them. And when it comes to worms, they are piglets, gorging until they could hardly swim. I can't see them having any interest in a nerite at all.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
They sound too satsified to bother with a snail Debbie. I don't do anything special for mine. Its only been a few weeks and they have plenty to keep them busy. Keeping an eye on them as the snails run out.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I kept a group of 48 sids together and never once did they even look at a snail. I have taken photos of sids and snails on the same driftwood. Your nerites will be fine.
well i dont have that many i do have 20-25 of them with 20 or so nerites together and no problem. heck i have my extras in a qt with the last couple nerites i have too. no problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts