The Planted Tank Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, these caves are not for little people. These are Dwarf Crayfish and Shrimp Caves from natural aquarium safe stone. You will receive the caves in the picture. The stone was collected from a remote rockslide in Montana and then washed. Therefore you do not have to worry about pesticides or pollution.
If you keep shrimp or crayfish it is essential that hiding caves be provided. Right after molting their shells are very soft and they are easily killed by their tank mates. A cave will give them a safe place until their shells can have time to harden. Crayfish will use these as their permanent homes.
These caves are open at both ends so it is easy to look into them and see the critter inside. I have found closed end caves are too dark. It also makes it easy to get the animal out of the cave if necessary. Just poke around the front of the cave and the critter will exit quickly out the back.
Some people worry about the rough edges and points on the rocks. I say take a look at the natural environments that most of our aquarium inhabitants come from and you will see that there is nothing to worry about.
Leave the PVC pipe for the plumbing and use something that is natural and looks good. Check out my other auctions for more caves. If you like a different quantity of caves or different sizes please let me know.
$14 for the pair & Free Domestic Shipping. Contact me for international shipping rates. PayPal payments should be made to [email protected] Thanks for looking!
caves 7/8

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are the rocks just glued together?

Yes with aquarium silicone. Sure you can make them yourself or you can buy them from me. A lot of people do not have access to the types of rocks that I do or don't want to pay near $4 a gallon in gas to go find their own.

The stones I use are a very neat shale that comes in purples and a blueish green. It looks real nice in an aquarium.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Those look very nice! I collected a buttload of shale from a stream when I visited Kentucky recently to use in my new cichlid tank.

I would add a word of caution, though, that shale, being similar to limestone, will raise and buffer the pH of the water it is put into. In small quantities, it shouldn't be too bad, but if it's going into a nano tank, it could jump up quite a bit. Covering the bottom of a 48"x12" tank with 1" of shale raised the pH of 55gal of water from 7.2 to 8.2 overnight.

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
This thread has automatically been closed by the forum. All sales threads are closed automatically after 31 days by the forum software as per our Swap N Shop rules unless you are a Power Seller. If you have any concerns you can contact the forum staff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.