The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm attempting a dutch-style aquascape for one of my Fluval Spec V (5 gallon) tanks. I know it won't be a true dutch aquascape (there's a lot of rules of aesthetics, I'm sure I'll break them all). I don't have all my plants in yet to show a picture of my tank, but I'm trying to rearrange what plants I have so that no two colors or leaf types are side by side. Today I got in my Hygrophila corymbosa 'Kompakt' to use for a midground street, and planted it behind my Staurogyne repens without thinking. The leaf types are different enough (I think), but I wanted to ask if the colors are too similar to place side by side.

The other midground plants are going to be Bacopa Monnieri, Lobelia cardinalis, and Cabomba.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Under the right light, they will have a gold tint to orange, to even purple or red so they probably will contrast in color depending on the scenario.

I hate to say, but you won't get a real Dutch tank in a Fluval Spec V. Even in a 20 gallon and a 60P, I started to understand why you need to start with 100 gallons or so to get the style. That isn't to say you can't enjoy a plant focused, manicured, multi colored tank. Though your midground plants can be used as foreground plants on bigger tanks, I think I would reconsider leaf size and always go for the smallest. First, the smaller the leaf size, the bigger the tank will look. These are fairly big leafed plant for the size of the tank. Second, and the reason I really suggest using smaller leafed plants is, when you trim them, they get bushy, with these, any trim will mean it will need to grow back in for a week or more to look right.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply! I never expected to go true Dutch (not with an aquarium this size), but I do like the challenge of attempting to get as far as I can. I like if each of my tanks has a different style/theme, just for the variation. In this case, the betta occupant is blind and can't have rocks or driftwood in her tank, so I figured this style would suit her best. I enjoy watching her explore, and she's learned the layout pretty well. I tried to avoid overly large leaves (been keeping an eye on that red tiger lotus), I was worried they might alarm or impede her from getting to the surface.

If I have to swap any plants out later, I'll try to go for smaller leaves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts