The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have seen and caught Lionfish off nearshore wrecks along the Carolina coast. Fairly numerous on the nearshore wrecks and reefs from Cape Hatteras and below. Watched a fairly large sand tiger shark eat several of them on the Abrams wreck.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I caught a local juvy cobalt blue cichlid from a local stream by my house. At first I thought it was a green terror but then I asked at the LFS and saw their juvy cobalt blues.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Or eat. Pacu is eaten lots of places. Have yet to try it yet..

Who was that member wanting to raise one in his bathtub for Sushi?

-Andrew

·
Registered
135 Posts
I live in GR as well and have spoken with several people who mentioned releasing fish. I suppose mostly its ignorance but it is still everything i can do not to start lecturing and or just flat out berating them for doing something so completely stupid.

So far I've never personally caught a non native. If i did it would come home and either go into one of my tanks as a fish, go to work to find a new home or go into my cetopsis tank as a snack.

Bulrush, have you gone back to see if there were any more there? Also roughly where was it, i live near a creek (Buck creek i believe, but i'm reasonably new down here so i might be mistaken). Just wondering if it was that one.

Jason

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
there are convict cichilds in the creek by my house...each one i catch, off comes its head and onto the bank it goes
Throwing away perfectly good catfish bait there! I once caught some kind of cichlid in a small pond (I've fished it for nearly a decade, I know what should be in there!). Thanks to his lovely flesh, my friends were able to feast on an 8lb catfish. :icon_lol:

Why people think it is a good idea to dump fish/plants....I have no idea. Out of site out of mind I guess.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For those located in the US..
And while we're at it, let's burn all of the kudzu, cattails, European starlings, woolly adelgids, and the thousands of other invasive species so that they can stop expediting the collapse of our own special ecosystems.

Ugh. Stuff like that makes me so angry.
But yes, kill them or use them or throw them in a tank - every right decision makes a difference.

·
Registered
806 Posts
People can be so stupid. They don't want to kill a few aquarium fish, but they're perfectly fine with those few fish killing , no matter how indirectly, considerably more native fish and other aquaria. If I had a man-made body of water made on my property, I probably wouldn't have to stock it. Ten years later it'd be full of fancy guppies, plecos, IR. sharks, convicts, and oscars, and not by me.

I wouldn't even release native fish I caught and kept back into the wild for fear some medication or food or something else might have an impact.

I think the common sense factor just isn't as common as it used to be.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you can't bring yourself to kill a fish or find it another home you've given up your right to keep aquarium fish. Case closed...not to mention its illegal and just plain wrong to release fish!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Or eat. Pacu is eaten lots of places. Have yet to try it yet..

Who was that member wanting to raise one in his bathtub for Sushi?

-Andrew
i have had pacu, its tasty....:hihi:
i just came back from seeing the everglades... if you want to see a classic example of exotic species taking over the waterways than this is the place to visit...the canals abound with blue talapia,oscars ,and peacock bass....
and that is just the tip of the iceberg...
for more info you can go here http://myfwc.com/fishing/Fishes/index.html

·
Registered
452 Posts
:| Uhoh, I've accidentally dumped java moss and malaysian trumpet snails into the toilet before (they came along for the ride when I did water changes). Do stuff flushed down the toilet get into the waterways?

·
Registered
722 Posts
peacock bass were stocked by the state. What about the Giant Burmese pythons in the Everglades?
this is also a big problem....park ranger said that they can get up to 20ft and kill gators

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
When I worked at the LFS someone had a 5lbs pacu they wanted to give the store and we turned them down. Well 2 weeks later front page of local paper it was caught at the city pond and everyone was freaking out and blaming the LFS because they thought it was a piranha.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My dream is to create a very large fish/aquatics rescue and adoption center like they do with the "cute mammalian" pets. Like a water animal Humane Society or something.

Many people do not release their dogs in the woods when it gets too big or boring. People need to start thinking that way with fish. Unfortuanlly the "responsible" way people resort to is euthanizing their fishies. If would be nice if there was a place where people could drop off their unwanted fishies and people/instituions. capable could take care. Also the places that sell fish need to hire or train people to be more knowllegeable in the aqua department and with each sale give a flyer stating what to do with unwanted fish and why you shouldnt "free" them. Hehe some you can eat, too.

At the chain petstore, they sell tiny tiny cute little fish that grow up to be monsters and the people who buy it are totally ignorant. There need to be better education or regulation. Or how only certain species cannot be sold in chain stores but can be aquired by hobiest that know what their doing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts