The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55l nano tank that I'll be scaping with wood, dragon stone and fairly heavily planting. I want to delve into the world of co2 but don't have the slightest clue what equipment I'll need. I've seen so many different things I'm confusing myself. Dual gauge regulator, dual stage regulator, nano regulators. Solonoid blah blah blah. Lol. if I want to set up co2 for my 55l heavily planted tank with medium/high lighting and good substrate what do I need.
Many thanks:)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I have a 55l nano tank that I'll be scaping with wood, dragon stone and fairly heavily planting. I want to delve into the world of co2 but don't have the slightest clue what equipment I'll need. I've seen so many different things I'm confusing myself. Dual gauge regulator, dual stage regulator, nano regulators. Solonoid blah blah blah. Lol. if I want to set up co2 for my 55l heavily planted tank with medium/high lighting and good substrate what do I need.
At its most basic level you need a co2 tank, a regulator (dual stage is preferred because its safer for your fish - if buying an off the shelf product this will include a bubble counter and solonoid), some co2 tubing, a check valve to stop water from going back into the regulator, a drop checker, and a means of getting the co2 into the tank, usually either a diffuser, reactor, or inline diffuser.

Because you are in the UK I'd suggest going in person to one of the pretty cool aquascaping stores you guys have and asking them what they recommend. They can hook you up with everything you need and show you how to use it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dual gage means there are two pressure gages on your regulator. One showing pressure in the CO2 tank, which indicates how much CO2 is left (to an extent) the other gage, usually the one furthest from the bottle shows you the pressure you’ve regulated down to with the knob... this will be the pressure going through the line and into your diffuser.

Dual stage regulator is an actual Type of regulator, and it refers to the internal design of it. This kind is preferable over single stage because it’s not likely to inject a lethal amount of CO2 into the aquarium when the CO2 tank is near empty.

Nano regulator just refers to overall size scale. Usually very small and able to fit on top of a 9-24oz paintball type CO2 tank. Ideal for smaller set ups where you don’t have a lot of room to spare.

Solenoid is an electrical gate valve more or less. It’s the thing that opens and closes to let CO2 flow from the tank to the aquarium. When you use a timer to turn on and off your CO2.... the timer is just sending electricity to the solenoid in order to open it. This will come with the regulator... already attached and already has a plug and ready to go

For my 60L I use the following

-5lb CO2 tank (lasts about 4-6 months)
-A dual stage, dual gauge regulator that I bought from this forum in the buy/sell/trade section
-An inline diffuser, bubble counter and check valve all from greenleafaquariums
-CO2 specific tubing.

I have a pretty high end setup.... probably cost me about $600 once all was said and done. Majority of this cost was the regulator. A high end regulator is WAY more expensive than you’d ever think lol.

You can get pretty great setups from CO2art, for probably half of what I spent...I think they’re in the UK

You can also go the ultra budget way and buy a $45 regulator from Amazon, where you can also find a cheap version of everything else you’ll need....and the overall cost will probably be about $100. This is how I started, and it worked perfectly for about a year when I decided I was gonna upgrade to a “buy it for life” quality setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
If you take a gander through my Primer for Pressurized CO2 (linked in my signature below; you may have to click the arrow to expand it), it might help answer some of the questions you have

·
Registered
61 Posts
My setup is a little different, my regulator and solenoid are separate, but I hope this helps you;
  • 2.3kg CO2 tank (lasts about 4-6 months)
  • Tunze Pressure Regulator 7077/3
  • Aqua Medic M-Ventil Solenoid
  • Inline reactor (Sera Flore), bubble counter and check valve
  • CO2 tubing
Check out CO2art. UK has some nice stores.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.