The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put in some root tabs a couple days ago for the first time. The next day, everything in the tank was covered with this... well... soot. Not cloudiness, actual debris, like the tabs exploded all over the place. Is that normal? I put 4 tabs in a 29 gal, and pushed them down an inch or so under the gravel. Now I have these little root tab volcanos. SO the question is: is that normal? if not, did I do something wrong? and, how the heck do I avoid having that happen in the future? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I've never had that happen. I would be concerned that it will release too much fertilizer in the tank. Can you do a water change and suck it back out? What kind of root tabs did you use?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
when I first started my mineralize soil tank, I saw little volcanoes too. I always thought it was either some bug or worm that did that.

It could also be gas bubbles coming up the substrate at a consistent basis, pushing soil up from underneath like a real volcano.

I'd push your root tab down further.

·
Are these real?
15,712 Posts
Can you verify if that were really the root tabs that "exploded". Like MrGreen :icon_mrgr I have noticed blackworms and such dig out little mud mole hills that indeed look like mini volcanoes, although they did not cover the hole tank.

Maybe the root tabs raised the concentration of salts or some other elements in the substrate, and the worms went crazy after that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just put in some root tabs a couple days ago for the first time. The next day, everything in the tank was covered with this... well... soot. quote]

Well I'm pretty sure the "soot" is diatoms. Here's a couple pics.. what do you think? Maybe it was just a coincidence they showed up immediately after I put in the root tabs, or maybe somehow that brought it about. So now I guess I'll troll the "algae" forum for solutions! One question answered, another one raised... haha.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts