The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any updates? Where did you purchase your CO2 setup? I'm looking for something very similar. Can you take a picture of your light? Thanks and great job keeping the baby tears happy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
eBay for the regulator and amazon for the tank. Same price for the paintball setup once you add 20 for an adapter. I like it a lot.

Added a drop checker too. my tank normalizes right above 1 bps.

Will add photos later... Out of town now.

Right now I am fighting algae. Can't quite get it to stop. Water looks fine and light is down to 6 hrs and the bulb raised up 2 inches. Riccia is floating and it's blocking some light.

My driftwood is also taken out at the moment. I am growing fissidens on it with the dry start method. Crossings fingers on this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Post Christmas updates.

Pulled out baby Tears. BGA took it over and killed it off.
The fissidens are starting to grow out.
The Anubias is growing well.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dudebro's Tank - Realismo Mágico - 10 Gal Eheim

No algae problems like I used too. Less light, less dosing. Switched to DIY root tabs from eBay and use Algae Fix every few weeks when things start going sliding down hill. Usually due to a need for water change and cleaning.

Since I switched to remineralized RO water and reduced lights its all been much more stable. Trying to go lush and low maintenance.

I also added a different ground cover plant.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Showing the different angles and also the growth of my steam plant in the back. It's starting to peak out above the driftwood.

Increased light, c02 and starting ferts again. Hoping to get my steam to grow faster and hopefully I'll be able to turn it up a notch and not get algae takeovers.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

I accidentally left my lights on over the weekend and had some sort of black algae outbreak. Luckily no fish died.

I ended up doing a large trimming to rid the algae. Shortly after the cleanup and trim I had another escapie. Down too two bloodfins now.

I have also moved the tank to a stand up against the wall. Rescaped it. And added limo tint to the back pane.

Here are some new shots. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366299297.907614.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366299310.719560.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366299323.502825.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366299334.002897.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366299346.569579.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I added an Eheim 106 with some tubing from Home Depot. I really like the extra flow. I also like that I can slow the flow for feeding preventing food from getting on the bottom.

Its been two days. My water is very clear now. Very noticeable. 4x the filtration media and added carbon does the trick.

I had the valve on the unit completely open and it stirred all kinds of detritus off the bottom. I left it open to see how the fish would react and to suck out all the muck.With the extra water flow... Tetras like it, otos don't mind, dwarf gouramis seem to dislike it. Everything is peachy with the valve slowing the rate about 25 to 50 percent.

I hung the light on the back wall and took the old filter off.

It's all temporary for now. Moving in a month but here's a shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I should say the fluval has 4x filtration compared to stock filter on the aquastyle. In case there was confusion... The fluval is stock plus my old sponge and rough media. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367196128.923022.jpg

Just snapped a better photo of the clear water. :D

21 - 40 of 69 Posts