The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have only male Endlers that like Duckweed so I got some and keep them back to about 20% or less coverage and away from the HOB so they are not a problem at all.

Question is, I've recently read that they are taking away needed nutrients from my other plants that are of more importance to me - Swords, Anubias, Java Fern, Anacharis, Java Moss and am looking to add Hornworth. Should I let it be or or is it okay to deprive the male Endlers of it?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to admit it is a bit of a nuisance, but have found ways to live with it. The most important one being keeping it from deep water diving at the HOB.

I'm sorry but I should have mentioned that the last PWC was a week ago and my Nitrates are still just 5 and that's with:

8 cardinals
8 cory pygmy
6 male endlers, 2 fry (the female is getting re-homed now)
&
3 ghost shrimp

I'll soon be bringing it to 18 cardinals and adding 3 oto's.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
duckweed is good to discourage fish from jumping from the tank. it does take up nutrients and it does block out light. but if you are going to say that they take up a bunch of nutrients than you can also say the same as anacharis and hornwort, both are nutrient hogs.
you should be dosing for your plants anyway, even if it is just a little bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

I am dosing with Seachem's Flourish - Comp. Supp. for the planted aqua.

Thanks again.

Edit: I'll cut it down to just 10% anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.