The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my first batch of food last night and letting it dry on a baking sheet. Inspired by Marks Shrimps - https://marksshrimptanks.com/

I have been throwing away buckets of duckweed all year, and finally decided to do something with it.
besides the duckweed I have bee pollen, spirulina and some bentonite clay. A half gallon of the duckweed filled up a cookie pan.

I'll let you guys know how the Shrimp and Otos feel about it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update -

The experiment seemed to work pretty good. The shrimp and otos love it!

Some things I discovered.
1) I should not spread it so thin next time on the wax paper, it's like a green fruit roll up lol.
2) I got a few light colored spots in it while drying could be mold so I got rid of any of it close to those spots.
3)It lasts a long time in tank before breaking down. My blue dreams in the 55 didn't finish theirs, and were still working on it at the end of the day. Same thing happens with my Hikari Algae tablets however and I give them half of one of those.
My 75 with the large shrimp colony and otos was gone in about 4 hours. I put a piece about the size of a standard bandaid in both tanks. It's thin, about 2mm
4) I throw away about a gallon of duckweed a month. The ingredients besides the duckweed I put in this, only cost me about 24 dollars and will probably last me a year. I may need to get some bee pollen earlier than that.
5) I need to measure how much of each ingredient, I'm really bad about that and regret it later..

I'll get some pictures of it on next update.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.