The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so duckweed is growing really well and it takes it about 2 weeks to cover the entire surface of the fish tank.

I have to frequently remove most of it just to allow some light to reach the plants below.

I am thinking about buying additional lights in order to be able to keep more duckweed on the surface. i kind of like the look.

what is your experience with floating plants? anyone here been able to keep the surface covered as well as maintain healthy plants below?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've had them in the past and they attached to everything especially decor, other plants etc. i was trying to move out of the tank.

They also reduced surface agitation, blocked light from the light demanding plants below and reduced flow.

So I think they only work in certain types of tanks with non demanding plants.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I keep hygro, cardinal plant. Dwarf hair grass, micro sword, crypts, myrio, ambulia, cabomba, etc in various tanks with dwarf water lettuce and duckweed. As long as I don't let it completely cover the surface I don't really have any issues with light, granted they are shallower low tech tanks. The main issue I have is keeping fert levels up enough so the submerged, floating and emersed plants all get enough to grow

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Duckweed help my 10g tank immensely- I no longer have algae issues in there. But I was much happier with it when I switched out from the common small duckweed to the giant duckweed- spirodela polyrhiza. It is larger, grows slower and doesn't stick to things as much. A lot easier to manage, for me. I keep the mass at the surface covering about 3/4- it drifts around slowly with the tank current so isn't blocking everything all the time. I do have low-light plants though, nothing demanding.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I use duckweed as a tool in a new tank to soak up excess nutrients.
Once the ammonia spike stage is over with I remove most of it to allow as much light as possible to reach the other plants.
I use water lettuce in the same way.

I have a med light tank, so not enough margin for me to let the duckweed block it.
Low light tank, sure let it grow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.