The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a huge price difference.
I have read reviews on both and not many complaints on either.

I like that on the dual you can have the bubble counter attached right to it.

I'm not opposed to spending $100 or so on a dual but is it really needed?
&
What size tank would you recommend for a 10g high tech tank?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a few seconds I figured out why the cost was so different for the two.
Yes, the obvious 2 gauges vs the single, but more importantly. The single gauge does not have a solenoid.
I like timers!

I am looking at 2 different regulators (dual gauge, w/ solenoid & bubble counter)...
Which is a more reputable brand?
1.) Azoo
2.) Milwaukee

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Both are OK.

Some people have good experiences with both brands. Others have had bad experiences with both brands.

With pressurized CO2 equipment, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You can go either way, I got a Aquatic Life and I'm building my own. If you can find some good deals, then why not. Just keep a look out on various auction sites, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Also, you're from the US, shipping won't be so expensive.

Up north here, it's either local or somehow get extremely lucky.

Hi!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You want a dual Stage regulator. Whether a regulator has dual gauges or not is not an indication that it is a dual stage regulator.
Alright, how would one know if it is a single or dual Stage regulator?
What is the difference?

I am leaning more toward the Azoo just because they give more info on the product. The Milwaukee gives very little to none.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Nothing wrong with dual STAGE, but it's pretty much overkill for the aquarium application IMO. I've been using very basic regs like azoo and milwaukee for a long time and never once experienced this so-called EOTD. I also don't replace my cylinders until nothing is coming out of the diffuser.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Alright, how would one know if it is a single or dual Stage regulator?
What is the difference?

I am leaning more toward the Azoo just because they give more info on the product. The Milwaukee gives very little to none.
More info does not translate into better quality. Milwaukee has good customer service and I still don't think they're worth what they're charging. But to answer your question about dual vs single stage; a single stage reg reduces the gas pressure in one stage, whereas dual stage regs reduce the pressure in two stages (it basically has two single stages in one). Dual is more accurate than the single and less likely (or not at all) to fluctuate over time. When the supply pressure decreases from the cylinder the dual stage will still deliver a steady supply. Meaning you won’t asphyxiate your fish. That said I have two single stage regs, a micromatic and a cornelius, and I've never witnessed an EOTD either.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Nothing wrong with dual STAGE, but it's pretty much overkill for the aquarium application IMO. I've been using very basic regs like azoo and milwaukee for a long time and never once experienced this so-called EOTD. I also don't replace my cylinders until nothing is coming out of the diffuser.
+1

Logically, if the azoo and milwaukee had major problems that were common, I'm sure they would not be selling these rigs year after year. Houseofcard is right in that respect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so from what I am reading about dual and single STAGE regulators is that "sometimes" you can get an end of tank dump with a single. A double eliminates that issue. Correct?

What if I just don't let me tank empty. If I have a 2.5lb tank and I use it until the tank gets down to lets say 200psi and I just refill it then instead of letting it empty. Would that not also eliminate the "end of tank dump?"

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can spend as much as you want, or if you're willing to wait, you can get pretty cheap.

I picked up a used Victor single stage regulator on ebay for $25. I had to put the CGA320 part on it since it was being used for argon. I also picked up a Clippard mouse solenoid from ebay for $12 and a Swagelok needle valve for $24 from another forum. It's a pretty nice setup for cheap. It just took about 3 months to find all the parts. In the meantime I was just using whatever cheap components I could find.

·
Super Moderator
12,040 Posts
Okay so from what I am reading about dual and single STAGE regulators is that "sometimes" you can get an end of tank dump with a single. A double eliminates that issue. Correct?
Yes

What if I just don't let me tank empty. If I have a 2.5lb tank and I use it until the tank gets down to lets say 200psi and I just refill it then instead of letting it empty. Would that not also eliminate the "end of tank dump?"
Yes.

For more information regarding pressurized CO2, please take a look at my Primer to Pressurized CO2 (linked in my signature below).

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Okay so from what I am reading about dual and single STAGE regulators is that "sometimes" you can get an end of tank dump with a single. A double eliminates that issue. Correct?..
That might be technically true, but to keep things in their proper prospective, your fish are much more likely to die of old age than to suffer a premature demise from EOTD.

·
Plant Clown
4,732 Posts
I copy/paste this every time I respond to a question about "how good is a (Milwaukee, Azoo, Aquatek)?" The following applies to all of them:

The Aquatek, Milwaukee, and Azoo, and their clones, will all be functional. But they're single stage, and low quality, and are far more likely to bust than any of the used industrial regulators many of us use and repurpose for our needs. In addition, there will be an increase working pressure as the cylinder nears the end of its fill, potentially causing problems unless you keep a careful eye on the pressure.

Furthermore, the needle valves on those units are identical, and extremely imprecise. They're functional, but barely so.

As for the solenoids, I've read little to suggest they're any more likely to fail than many of the other solenoids we've tried over the years (reasonably likely), but mine did, in any case (I had a 3M, nearly identical to a Milwaukee).

Generally, responses will vary from "love it" to "will never entertain the possibility of using one again in this lifetime", with nothing in the middle. Basically, you get what you pay for. In this case, the all-in-one rigs are cheaply purchased because they're cheaply manufactured.

I'd recommend getting somebody here to build one. Or reading the build-your-own-regulator sticky in the equipment section and piece it together yourself. Or getting one prebuilt from greenleafaquariums.com ...anybody familiar with any other companies building rigs?

To be fair, you'll definitely spend more, possibly a lot more, if you go any of these routes (building your own can cost even less, but there's a nasty learning curve, and shipping costs for multiple sources can get ugly). However, the quality upgrade is ridiculous.

However, because of the low cost, there's definitely a place for the bottom-rung regulators. If you want a cheap intro rig, that you'll certainly upgrade from at some point, and you're willing to chance a malfunction and put up with their drawbacks (though, to be honest, you won't notice some of them until you upgrade), then a Milwaukee isn't a bad deal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts