The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im currently running a single 264gph sunsun canister filter on my 75 but i feel its not enough so i was wondering if a dual set up like in the (clearly Van Gogh level) illustration above would be possible if i purchased another 264gph filter of the same model and ran the outflow from one to the intake of the other and made the first a purely mechanical filter and stuff it to the brim with levels of filter floss and then the second with nothing but bio media and then ran the latter's outflow back into the tank. I have had this idea for a long time now but just never got around to actually looking into it till now and i would greatly appreciate any help

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's an interesting idea. I have 2 Marineland 350 Mag filters that I use, but I currently have both setup on their own intakes and outflows. I had an idea of combining the outflows into one spraybar (see below), but I never thought about daisy chaining them together. Please post back if you do attempt this, and let us know how it works.
Only problems I could see is the first filter (mech) slowing the flow too much for the bio filter, since the bio filter would in theory have less resistance, and might push water out faster than it comes in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's an interesting idea. I have 2 Marineland 350 Mag filters that I use, but I currently have both setup on their own intakes and outflows. I had an idea of combining the outflows into one spraybar (see below), but I never thought about daisy chaining them together. Please post back if you do attempt this, and let us know how it works.
Only problems I could see is the first filter (mech) slowing the flow too much for the bio filter, since the bio filter would in theory have less resistance, and might push water out faster than it comes in.

Thanks if I find I can't use my idea I most likely will try this out

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I personally like the second idea better. Less to go wrong. For example in the first idea if either filter quite pumping you would have an issue. With the second drawing it would only mean reduced flow. The second plan would also allow you to keep running while you tear one of the filters down for maintenance, assuming you build the plumbing correctly.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I would go for batting Large quantities of dirty floss is a yucky mission to deal with when you are done with it.

What I have been eyeing is one of these mini (sand) pool filters that comes with larger portable swimming pools.
Although the target is for a pond.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would go for batting Large quantities of dirty floss is a yucky mission to deal with when you are done with it.

What I have been eyeing is one of these mini (sand) pool filters that comes with larger portable swimming pools.
Although the target is for a pond.
Ive had plenty of experience with cleaning the filthy floss but when it comes down to it i would prefer to do that than to have mulm and detritus reach the bio media

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I personally like the second idea better. Less to go wrong. For example in the first idea if either filter quite pumping you would have an issue. With the second drawing it would only mean reduced flow. The second plan would also allow you to keep running while you tear one of the filters down for maintenance, assuming you build the plumbing correctly.
My thing with it is that i want to be able to run the two as one whole so it's as if i have a six stage filter rather than two threes

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
@ShadeSlayer please keep us informed if you do this. I will subscribe as I am interested in how this works out for you. I want to add something else. If I was doing this I would consider using extra shutoff valves and place them strategically where you can see you might have to take apart the plumbing for cleaning and maintenance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ShadeSlayer please keep us informed if you do this. I will subscribe as I am interested in how this works out for you. I want to add something else. If I was doing this I would consider using extra shutoff valves and place them strategically where you can see you might have to take apart the plumbing for cleaning and maintenance.
That's a great idea I'll definitely be doing that and at the current moment i can't afford to buy a new filter and likely won't be able to for some time but i will update when i do for sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
Only problem I've had was planning the actual plumbing with my idea. I was trying to use mostly hoses to keep from using 90* bends and reducing flow with barb -> pvc fittings. If someone has some ideas I'm more then open to trying to come up with a working model.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Only problem I've had was planning the actual plumbing with my idea. I was trying to use mostly hoses to keep from using 90* bends and reducing flow with barb -> pvc fittings. If someone has some ideas I'm more then open to trying to come up with a working model.
Go to a slightly larger size vinyl tubing and increase the size of the pvc accordingly. The main issue I see with design A is if one of the canisters dies the other will work twice as hard to move the water. If the first canister clogs and slows the second will starve for water to pump.

I think if it was me, unless this is an experiment that you want to do for the sake of trying it, I would add a powerhead and sponge. It is cheap, effective means of adding both bio and mechanical filtration, simple to maintain, will increase tank flow and is easily directional. Oh and did I mention cheap?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm a firm believer of the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I would just run both filters independently, like how they were designed to run. This way, any issues with flow, operation, etc, can be dealt with, without the complications. My $02.

I think some good questions would be, what are the advantages? What modifications would you need to make? What kind of additional hoses, tubing, pipes, etc would it add?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm a firm believer of the KISS method. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I would just run both filters independently, like how they were designed to run. This way, any issues with flow, operation, etc, can be dealt with, without the complications. My $02.

I think some good questions would be, what are the advantages? What modifications would you need to make? What kind of additional hoses, tubing, pipes, etc would it add?
I tend to agree with you which is why I recommended the sponge and powerhead. I have to admit I also like these kinds of projects. You learn a lot trying to maximize what you get out of your equipment and if we only used what we know works then there would be no bdbs substrate/caps, no safe t sorb substrates. Lots of cool and interesting ideas and things come about by pushing the envelope.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Unless you are trying to really limit flow into the tank (which in the course of this setup may damage internal pumps) there is no benefit for this. Most tanks do better with more flow... the kind you would get with two or more filter outputs. If anything do one filter with nothing but bio media and the other with actual filter floss and filter media. Remember the water flow will stop at the first restriction so packing all that into one output is going to double or triple the frequency that you would need to clean the filters to keep any appreciable flow

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
You're on the low side of flow for a 75g if the sunsun was pumping advertised flow, which it is now. I would add at least another 302, if not a 304 to the tank. Do not splice the returns together. It is not advantageous and definitely do not run them in series. Water flow is not like voltage. :D If you want the spray bars set up like you have in the second drawing, just run both of the returns over the back in the center and branch away from each other that way.

I had a 75g with a 304 in it for awhile. I also had some air stones and was flowing quite a bit of water with the air movement. A single 304 really isn't enough flow or surface agitation and a 302 is definitely not enough, in my opinion. Remember, this is all opinions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're on the low side of flow for a 75g if the sunsun was pumping advertised flow, which it is now. I would add at least another 302, if not a 304 to the tank. Do not splice the returns together. It is not advantageous and definitely do not run them in series. Water flow is not like voltage. :D If you want the spray bars set up like you have in the second drawing, just run both of the returns over the back in the center and branch away from each other that way.

I had a 75g with a 304 in it for awhile. I also had some air stones and was flowing quite a bit of water with the air movement. A single 304 really isn't enough flow or surface agitation and a 302 is definitely not enough, in my opinion. Remember, this is all opinions.
I have a powerhead running that i believe is an 80 gph i use it to help my co2 atomizer to diffuse the co2 more efficiently also i have a veil tail betta in the tank. But i think i may just go with a second one run separately and I'll at least try my design for science sake lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.