The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this tank planted for about 3 weeks, so I thought I'd share some pictures.

HARDWARE:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
10g rimless
Acrylic Lily in&outflow
CO2 Injection - 5# tank/Marquette dual-gauge Regulator & 2-way splitter (for the 45g tank)
- two piece glass bubble counter/check valve, glass co2 diffuser = running 1 bubble/sec.
Tom's c80 mini canister
70w Metal Halide

PLANTS: (small amounts of each)
hemianthus callitrichoides
glossostigma elatinoides
fissidens fontanus
Japanese Hairgrass
Dwarf Hairgrass
Giant Hairgrass
Pelia
Riccia
blyxa japonica
sunset hydro
christmas moss
spiky moss
java moss
anubias nana
Ludwigia Arcuata
Rotala rotundifolia

ANIMALS:
4 black neon tetras
15 wild type neocaridina shrimp

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regards to evaporation, I haven't really had a problem. Part of this is because the window always has the blinds closed, which keeps the water cooler. Also, I only have the MH on for 7 hours, because the intensity averages to about 7 watts/gallon, which is kinda over kill (from what others advise about lighting), yet my plants seem to be growing and photosynthesizing quite progressively. The limited light-time may also be why I haven't had much of an issue with algae, aside from the typical residue that sticks to the glass. I use flourish excel which is supposed to have an effect on string algae. Nevertheless, in all honesty, I have no clue why I haven't had much algae growth. Perhaps it's just b/c the tank is fairly new (?). Who knows? lol, I'm not complaining tho! =)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Beautiful pictures!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the glosso growing upwards too. I'd up your lighting and keep an eye out for algae (adjust photo period). Usually when glosso and the sort start to grow upwards, it is 'reaching' for light. If you want it to spread horizontally more, up the light so it doesn't have to reach for it.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ But he's got a 70w MH on this tank. I'm really confused, because the glosso doesn't look like it's being shaded or anything. You should try poking those glosso stems down into the substrate a little bit, to give them a little "encouragement" to grow sideways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.