The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,011 Posts
Does anyone prefer the dry start method over mineralized top soil?
Does it matter what soil you use with the dry start method?

A few months ago I set up a 75 gallon tank with miracle organic soil and havent been happy with it the whole time. I am in the process of getting ready to restart with MTS. I plan to dry start the tank after everything is switched out.

If you are interested in some MTS let me know.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Actually, I think most people use aquasoils (ADA, stratum, flora base, etc.) for DSM but any nutrient-rich substrate should be fine, or you can just mist the soil with fertilized water (just don't mix trace and KH2PO4) if you're doing something like sand. As far as using DSM OR MTS, I don't see why you couldn't do a DSM with MTS....the soil has to be moist anyway so it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
A few months ago I set up a 75 gallon tank with miracle organic soil and havent been happy with it the whole time. I am in the process of getting ready to restart with MTS. I plan to dry start the tank after everything is switched out.

If you are interested in some MTS let me know.
I would be interested in hearing what it is specifically about the MGOC potting mix that you are unhappy with, especially in comparison to MTS which you have a lot of experience with.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I would be interested in hearing what it is specifically about the MGOC potting mix that you are unhappy with, especially in comparison to MTS which you have a lot of experience with.
I'd like to chime in on this. I've got MGOPM capped with pool filter sand. It's quite messy if you have to move the plants around or if you disturb the substrate deep enough when filling the tank/doing water changes. It is very nice for plants though. I've actually grown to like the bits of bark that have settled on the sand...gives it more of a natural look.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have started my DST with some good looking soil from my friends field down by the river. Screend it through some 1/4 inch hardware cloth boiled it for a while for the heck of it, mixed in some dry red clay, and I am putting it in the tank tomorrow after work. Very excited to see how this plays out. This will be the first tank that is all mine and I think I will take some pics along the way. Wish me luck....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.