The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how important it is to let the soil completely dry when you have it laid out on the tarp? It has been raining a lot here and I have it in the garage. After like 1.5 weeks it still isn't dry, but it cracking a little.

I don't want to screw it up. Should I wait till it is all dry?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you're trying to avoid the initial nitrogen (and subsequent algae) burst when you submerge the soil, you've done plenty enough already. If you're trying to "mineralize"* the soil, you probably need more soaking and drying.

* I don't see the point

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After that first 1.5 weeks on the tarp I screened it and back into the buckets for 2 days. It is now on the tarp for the second time (about 2 days now)

Yes I defiantly don't want to get a bad algae problem. I will transfer everything over from the other tank all within 1-2 days so I'm trying not to cause any problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it matters I will be topping it with 50/50 Eco Complete and black blasting sand.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Yep, the rain & damp weather will slow you down. I have one cycle done on mine. I broke it up and ran it through 1/4" screen. It's sitting in 5 gal pails until the rains ends this week. I figure it's going to be working in the aquarium for a few years, a few more weeks is nothing. Especially, since I don't want to deal with algae bomb going off in my Aquarium.

Try to remember this isn't video game, a great tank needs time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It does not have to be completely submerged, but only once. The whole point of it is to keep in the state of moist and having air moving on it. Set up a nice fan and mix it up then squirt a little water and mix it back up and put it back under the fan. I have only ever kept it moist, never to the point of having water dripping everywhere. Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.