The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dry started some Dwarf Hairgrass two weeks ago, and this week my Hairgrass began browning at a very worrying rate.

Here is how it looked two days ago: http://i.imgur.com/cfS57rb.jpg

Here is how it looks right now: http://i.imgur.com/ZcTasJH.jpg

As you can probably tell, more and more of my hairgrass is browning at a significant rate and I am worried that they will die. I have heard that it is normal for this to occur when dry starting, so have any of you experienced browning to this extent while dry starting your own Hairgrass?

My setup is as follows:
Lighting: 2 Finnex Stingrays 11 inches from the substrate, on for 13 hours a day. Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia No fertilizers, since I heard that Aquasoil is already loaded with elements.
I keep the tank completely covered and mist and air it out daily. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Im also doing dry start myself at the moment and just looking at your photo I think you might have too much water? In my tank its been two weeks without any issues but I had sure I don't over mist the tank. I also don't have any light the light is from the window.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I did Miracle Gro organic potting mix and Osmocote from Home Depot and mine are fine without misting. I have more water than that, and it was fine. I find that wet DHG melts for me. I keep their lower portions wet, but I let them dry on top. Perhaps it allows them to absorb CO2 better? Try some DHG in a 2 liter bottle in different substrates to experiment. Maybe grow out your roots in dirt and plant it later?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dear Thedenn,

How long have you dry start your DHG ?
I had do the exact same thing on my first scrape tank along with HC like many other.
and I found that DHG were grow way slower then the HC (Both DSM method)
They just stalled and a month later BOOM !! can't even see the soil from top down !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.