The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the dsm works outside or near a window that gets sunlight if i plant dhg? I will be using Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil and pea gravel from Lowes as my substrate. I know the whole process with the suran wrap and misting methods and not over watering, but I want to know if I can put this 20 long outside and successfully carpet my DHG using the DSM. Thanks let me know on your thoughts. If the dsm doesnt work outside ill get clamp lights and 23 watt CFL's 6500k and do the dsm with those. Thanks again

Also if I leave my tank near a window and it seems sort of cold, will the temperature effect the dhg growth? Let me know if I need to change anything im doing! Thanks so much

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pea gravel is the normal size of regular aqaurium gravel. And the tank gets about 10 hours of light and probably 3 hours of direct sun light that is on and off. The problem is at night its getting a little cold and the window isnt exactly air tight so i feel like the tank gets a little cold.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Can't speak to the temp aspect but I put one small clump (maybe 5 blades of grass) in a mason jar with soil in my window sill that got maybe 3hrs a day of direct sunlight and in about 6 or so weeks the jar (maybe 5" across) was filled with hg.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.