The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to start a NPT on my 120gal using Tom Barr's dry start method... The tank is situated in the basement and most of you know that the temperature is cooler compare to the main floor... And fall temp here in CT is getting cooler so I want to start asap... I check, and the basement temp is between 45-60deg during nights and between 55-65deg during days (when we're at home)...

So the question is, has anyone tried DSM in their basement with cooler temp? Will the HC thrive? I'd like to start a nice HC carpet first while still working on the scapes and plants to add that's why i prefer DSM...

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
You could try putting something over the top of the tank to keep moisture/heat in, like plastic wrap?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Burks... That's what I'm planning to do to trap the moisture and heat inside the tank during DSM process...

Though the real concern is when the lights are off... Will the HC tolerate the cold temp in my basement?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I haven't tried this, so I'm just guessing, but I doubt that you can get HC to grow with the night time temperature dropping down to 60F. How about setting the tank on a plastic foam or beaded insulating pad, and even putting similar pads on all four sides of the tank? You could use a 15 watt incandescent light near the tank, at night, to keep it warmer too, if you insulate it a bit. Or, use one of the undertank heaters used by reptile keepers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ive got no night time heating on my tank and my appartment is not heated well (boston) and ive found it to be fairly cool in the mornings and have been getting good progress. Ive got some growth pics in my tank thread which you can look at for reference. I think I am getting good progress, but I am not sure the temps in here at night and my tank is acrylic so it may insulate better (or so i am given to understand).

I think with a towel or blanket it will stay fairly warm at night (dont forget the wet substrate will be a pretty good heat resivoir and will help stabilize temps).

Chaos

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been thinking, what if I just reverse the light time? I'll turn on the lights at night time, when the basement temp is low, and turn it off during days... That way, the temp is consistent above 60deg range...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just read thru your journal and it's a very nice progress growing your HC emersed! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing! We're pretty much on the same boat, I still have equipments to acquire and a little plumbing to do that's why I chose to give DSM a try...

Though how long do you turn on your lights? Are you giving your tank a breather (open the top for fresh O2/CO2) and for how long? How frequent do you mist?

Ive got no night time heating on my tank and my appartment is not heated well (boston) and ive found it to be fairly cool in the mornings and have been getting good progress. Ive got some growth pics in my tank thread which you can look at for reference. I think I am getting good progress, but I am not sure the temps in here at night and my tank is acrylic so it may insulate better (or so i am given to understand).

I think with a towel or blanket it will stay fairly warm at night (dont forget the wet substrate will be a pretty good heat resivoir and will help stabilize temps).

Chaos

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, I think the on at night would probably be a great solution. I have been giving something like 16hrs a day. I am getting some algae or similar growing on the sand where there are no plants though.

There is so much condensation that I dont worry about the plants drying out. I did start misting with a very unscientific water and fert mix maybe once a week. Ive got two small holes in the plastic to exchange a little air, but mostly that happens when I open to take pics or spray things down.

Really not a lot of regimen going on in my tank right now.

Chaos

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for sharing... I think that's what I'm gonna do (75% convinced), I'll have the photoperiod happen during nights for 12hr or so and turn it off in the morning for consitent temp that HC can tolerate... I'll probably wrap around some blankets or thick paddings to cover at least half of the tank (bottom to middle) to keep the temp warm in the tank... Thanks for the tip guys!

Though for anyone who has or has no experienced on this scenario (DSM in the basement) and willing to share their thoughts/experience, you can still chime in... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts