The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys after hours of scaping my 8G iwagumi tank and with much help in the aquascape section of the forum I'm ready to start planting :) but after many failed attempts to grow dwarf baby tears submerged I gave up on them although I recently learned about the dsm I would like to give it a try, but I need some type of direction:help: For my substrate I have a mixture of fluorite black sand and fluval plant stratum. I have two 12" finnex fugerays I could use or just one for lighting. Some of my questions are:
1- Is my substrate adequate? I know many will suggest aqua soil but this is what I have on hand.

2- Is my lighting sufficient?

3- How often should I mist the tank? And should I mix in ferts in the water?

4- What are other options I could use for plants? And what are your favorites?

5- should I expect any types of bacteria or fungal development? How can I avoid this and what have you done to treat it?

I appreciate all feedback as this will be my first iwagumi tank I know they aren't easy to keep but I'm ready for a challenge :) if you have any pictures that you would like to share please go ahead and thank you for your time!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
About your prior failures:
1. What were you fertilizing?
2. How was CO2 being added?
@solcielo - thanks for replying! Well I using the pps pro method by green leaf aquarium dosing as directed 1ml per 10 gallons of micros and macros daily. Lighting was 2 finnex leds so par was pretty high. I was injecting co2 from a paintball setup by GLA through an atomic diffuser drop checker would stay green and every other plant in the tank was thriving except the Hc. It wasn't dying just not growing at the same pace regardless it got covered in green string algae and while trying to remove the algae ended uprooting the hc so I gave up. Second attempt was in a 2 gallon spec I had no inhabitants in this tank so I used high light, injected co2 heavy, and ferts ... Still it completely withered. Although to be honest I believe I just gave up too soon on this plant and would like another shot to get this right

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of water are you using? Treated tap or RO?
Water is from the tap. I have some hc leftover from my last failure and believe it or not it's actually growing I threw it in my 40 just because and it's growing :bounce:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think hc is quite simple to grow with minimal demands - it's just some people get too nervous with it and over pamper it ;)
However in dsm they are great. Even "low" lighting is sufficient when there's no water, also substrate is no important either - grows well in soil, aquasoil, fluorite, and even without any lol.
I have a half inch stem in my emersed setup that I got as a tag along in some plants a little while ago and now it's about 3" with multiple shoots (grown in fluorite).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts