The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did my dry start and have been watiing. Ive adjusted the light because some plants seemed to be melting, drying or burning. I have been misting a couple times a day actually.

Thing is I think it would just be better if I filled the tank like 1/3 up and submerged everything. I dont know why I Have this feeling but I think it would be healthier for the plants.

I dont have a way to get them c02 then though. I can use excel but that wont really do much and might hurt some of them.

Anyone have any ideas, or suggestions. Should I wait it out a bit?
I think Im also noticing some algea growing on the sand a bit where the water line is a bit higher. I know in time the plants will just out compete that but should I worry/handle it now?

Thanks all!

ps
Ive been debating on once I finished the stand (last bit of staining then clearing) I might just do the swap and go for it letting the carpet finish. I just worry that to soon and the roots wont set and my stupid acara will easily rip them out looking for food.

p.p.s
Was also thinking of dropping a portion or 2 of black worms into the tank now to let them scavange and turn the bedding/soil underneath.
yes/no?

·
Registered
228 Posts
My last dry start I let go for 3 months, patience is needed.
Make sure the water is barely at the level of the substrate.
If you mist a lot you will need to drain water often. If not you risk getting cyano.

The plants will melt initially as they are converting from submerged to emersed growth.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My last dry start I let go for 3 months, patience is needed.
Make sure the water is barely at the level of the substrate.
If you mist a lot you will need to drain water often. If not you risk getting cyano.

The plants will melt initially as they are converting from submerged to emersed growth.
maybe I should get some water out then.

I could use a towel.

What species of plants?
honestly a bunch. Baby tears, glosso, hair grass and then some I kind of forgot the names of.

heres some gallery pics of when it was started

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/album.php?albumid=21505

On a side note I leave this friday for a week vaca. any tips on how to handle the plants not dying while Im gone?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.