The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I've been browsing TPT for a while as I've been setting up my first planted tank, and I've finally made an account, with my first question;

I'm currently setting up a 29G tall planted tank, and, after waiting ages for my LFS to get some driftwood in, I'm finally ready to start planting. However, I'm leaving for a ten-day vacation next weekend, so it's too late for me to really start anything now. I'm wondering though, if I could seize the opportunity to dry-start some dwarf hairgrass or marsilea minuta and hopefully get some carpeting growth?

Can I safely leave those plants unattended for ten days? The tank has 1.5-2 inches of Miracle-Gro organic potting mix, capped with about a half inch of sand, and a Finnex Ray 2 DS LED light. I have a roommate whom I could probably ask to mist the tank once, but he's in university with a heavy schedule and I don't want to bother him with it.

Could this be viable, or should I just leave the whole thing until I get back? If it is viable, any advice on how much water to add before I leave, and how long a photoperiod to use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did this in the middle of my dry start for about 8 days and everything was fine. I saw some pretty good growth when I got back as well.

All I did was mist the tank a little extra before I left, then put the saran wrap back on and left my lights on their normal timer (16 hours a day during the dry start)

However, that was in the middle of a dry start, your plants could be a little more finicky at the very start, but I personally think they'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

That's encouraging, thanks!

One other question: Do I need to treat the water I use for a dry start with Prime/other water treatment, or do I only need to worry about that when I actually fill the tank?

·
Registered
46 Posts
You shouldn't need to treat your water beforehand.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think chlorine is actually one of the elements plants use to grow.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'd just treat it to be safe.

Your idea should be fine as long as you can find a way to maintain humidity. Sealing the tank w/ lights on a timer is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yea I went on a 7 day vacation during my dsm period, its not as long as yours but my plants were fine.

I left the normal amount of water for DSM and misted a little extra before I left.

I actually found out when I didnt mist for a week I saw the most growth (maybe because it aired out naturally and I wasnt airing enough to begin with).

Good luck, doesnt hurt to try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts