The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 are basic ferts used in agriculture. This is what Greg is selling. If you have a source for agricultural supplies near you you can buy these in bulk. But most hobbiests don't feel the need to store 50# bags of the stuff around the house.

The pre-made solutions sold by Kent/Seachem/Tetra/etc... do the same thing but cost you way more per dose.

Flourish is a trace element (micro nutrients) mix so will not have the nutrients that the plants need most, which are N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 are basic ferts used in agriculture. This is what Greg is selling. If you have a source for agricultural supplies near you you can buy these in bulk. But most hobbiests don't feel the need to store 50# bags of the stuff around the house.

The pre-made solutions sold by Kent/Seachem/Tetra/etc... do the same thing but cost you way more per dose.

Flourish is a trace element (micro nutrients) mix so will not have the nutrients that the plants need most, which are N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium)
Ok. Thanks. Now to talk my mom into buying more ferts.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
You can look for some of these dry ferts packaged as something else. This isn't cheaper on a per pound basis, but if you have only one or two 10gal tanks it starts to make sense. Why buy a pound of KH2PO4 which will last you for 50.7 years?

Okay, so for KNO3, you can use stump removers. Search for that term here on the board and you will find discussions, brands, and warnings. You need one that is pure KNO3.

Instead of K2SO4, you could use KCl, which is available as "NuSalt" or something like that in your grocery store. For bigger quantities, look at water softener pellets.

For KH2PO4, you can get Fleet Enema from your drugstore. Again, search for it here and you will find stories when buying it as well as dosing instructions.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
You can look for some of these dry ferts packaged as something else. This isn't cheaper on a per pound basis, but if you have only one or two 10gal tanks it starts to make sense. Why buy a pound of KH2PO4 which will last you for 50.7 years?

Okay, so for KNO3, you can use stump removers. Search for that term here on the board and you will find discussions, brands, and warnings. You need one that is pure KNO3.

Instead of K2SO4, you could use KCl, which is available as "NuSalt" or something like that in your grocery store. For bigger quantities, look at water softener pellets.

For KH2PO4, you can get Fleet Enema from your drugstore. Again, search for it here and you will find stories when buying it as well as dosing instructions.
I used all of those before I got my dry ferts from greg, no problems with any of them.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
James From Cali, there are a multitude of grades available for all dry chemicals typically used in planted aquariums. I personally don't prefer the "Greg Watson Ferts" because they are agricultural grade chemicals manufactured by Plant Products, mainly intended for use in soil or soilless media.

I originally learned of using higher grade chemicals from a post someone made on this forum whom was deemed as a "troll" by the majority of people here as well as some mods and admins. I was probably the only person who took the post seriously and as a result I have been using reagent ACS grade chemicals for a long time now and I am very happy with them.

If you are interested, what I would recommend is going to galladechemical.com and search for whatever you are interested in. For example, Potassium Nitrate.

The problem with most big lab supply sites (including Gallade Chemical) is that they will only sell to businesses, and if you attempt to purchase from them as an individual, not only will they not give you customer service, they will treat you like a criminal or terrorist.

To circumvent that, I recommend going over to chemsavers.com to purchase whatever specific chemical type and grade you've decided upon on Gallade Chemical. Simply e-mail them, and they will take care of you. You pay them via PayPal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I hate to say it, but it seems like he found the time to jack up the prices.....
Holy cow... I just can't believe how prices are such an insanely sensitive issue. ADA bashing runs rampant because of high prices, the ACS chemical thing is viewed as a troll on Greg Watson because of high prices, and even when the chemicals Greg Watson formerly sold go up by no more than $3 per pound, now everyone is talking like they're getting royally screwed! :icon_roll

Here's what Greg himself had to say about these complaints:

...its not my place or role to defend Alan ... so that is not my intention here, but I would like you to generously consider the following:

I was a little bit suprised at the price increase myself ... I was not involved and not informed about it until I saw a simlar post here ...

However, let's be honest first <grin>... a 53 cent increase in a pound of Potassium Nitrate from $2.47 to $3.00 is a 21% not a 48% increase <grin> ...

Now if you think about what has happened to the price of your Gas over the last few years, wouldn't you make an "educated" guess that the costs to buy the product has also gone up? I don't know what gas costs for you ... but for me, it went up from about $1.40 to about $2.67 (where my gas is at today) ... that is a 90% increase ...

Now I can tell you that about 50% of the product cost is shipping ... it doesn't take a degree in math to make an educated guess that the price increase is probally just barely covering the increase in shipping costs ...

So if I were to make an educated guess ... thinking about it calmly and rationally <Grin> ... then an obvious factor is that costs have probably gone up a LOT ... are you paying more for Gas now than you were a year or two ago?

I'm not asking you to change your mind - I think you have reached your own opinion - but just please be kind enough to consider that there may be other factors involved ...

Best wishes ...

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
James From Cali, there are a multitude of grades available for all dry chemicals typically used in planted aquariums. I personally don't prefer the "Greg Watson Ferts" because they are agricultural grade chemicals manufactured by Plant Products, mainly intended for use in soil or soilless media.

I originally learned of using higher grade chemicals from a post someone made on this forum whom was deemed as a "troll" by the majority of people here as well as some mods and admins. I was probably the only person who took the post seriously and as a result I have been using reagent ACS grade chemicals for a long time now and I am very happy with them.

Good luck!
I think you where the only person the troll convinced, and since you claim to be happy with the lab grade ferts, perhaps you care to explain the differences that an average aquarists, or even an above average aquarist may or may not see with them versus say Ag grade?

I've been using these chemicals for oh........10-15 years and have used them on ohhh......100's of tanks, at the lab, for clients with lots $$$ invested in their fish, made plenty of reference solutions from these same "ag grade" salts. "Where are these issues?" I ask. I've used both Greg and my own sources for both.

Spreading doubt where there is none and not doing the homework to make sure the notion is right or not does not help this hobby. Are you also using the research grade CO2 gas as well? I doubt you do, it's pretty pricey.

Show that the health of fish/shrimps and plants are doing better with it in a visible manner.

I just detailed a nice tank that's used those same chemicals from Greg for 2.5 years in the photo album section here and one person out the worth of the fish at about 5000$ conservatively. Health is top notch. The behemoth tank uses the same method and chemicals.

Are the fish feeds used research grade also? What types of quarantine method was done?

I can spread doubt and inconsistency as well.............

But what is reasonable here is more the issue and is there any observations of any sort that would make us suspect that there is any issue between the two grades? I just do not see it and you nor that "troll" ever showed any evidence that there is/was/or could be an issue that anyone could detect.

We also use ag grade chemicals for a very simple reason, this is horticulture after all.

If you disagree with what I've said, prove me wrong. :thumbsup:

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Holy cow... I just can't believe how prices are such an insanely sensitive issue. ADA bashing runs rampant because of high prices, the ACS chemical thing is viewed as a troll on Greg Watson because of high prices, and even when the chemicals Greg Watson formerly sold go up by no more than $3 per pound, now everyone is talking like they're getting royally screwed! :icon_roll
My comment wasn't as much about the actual prices as it was about other things. I don't know the "New Owner", so I don't start out with anything "Personal" against him.

However, the site has apparently been owned and operated by him for about 2 months now. He didn't bother to notify anyone of his new ownership--Greg did that. Its not reflected on the website, and according to a single comment---communication has gone down--apparently way-down. The comment above that he hasn't had time to reflect things on the website is--To Me--Just BS<--that's My Opinion. He's had time to jack up the prices--but nothing else? Right. I'm just not going for it. He appears to be riding on the Great Reputation that Greg has built for Greg--just as long as he can. Maybe I'm wrong, but its looking that way from my chair.

Hopefully he is just using this time to get his ducks in a row and everything will continue on as Good as it has in the past.

Per Greg's statement:

Now I can tell you that about 50% of the product cost is shipping ... it doesn't take a degree in math to make an educated guess that the price increase is probably just barely covering the increase in shipping costs ...
Yes, shipping has usually pretty much doubled the cost of my orders, so 50% is a fair generalization. And the increase in the cost of living theme is also very fair. But, if prices are going to be increased--it should have nothing to do with the "increased cost of shipping". If shipping costs more--then shipping should be increased.

New owners often increase prices--first thing. Whether they are landlords, restaurant owners--whatever. Its fairly normal.

If You reread my original statement Hopefully You will see that its not actually about the prices--its more about everything else.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
$10 to ship three pounds is a total rip. Those three pounds can fit into a Flat Rate PM envelope and be mailed for $4.05. Add $0.95 for packaging and you are up to $5.

Are the ferts still shipped via Priority Mail?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I honestly dont think anyone was complaining but it was the fact that after being turned over to new management prices are immediately raised. This hobby has alot of aspects that have more than one right answer. Peoples personal opinion shouldn't be shot down because someone dont like the idea but looked through thoroughly(spl) and then point out whats right and what isnt. I think that if someone thinks that the prices are too high than they shouldnt buy it and let the other people who dont mind go about there buisness.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
$10 to ship three pounds is a total rip. Those three pounds can fit into a Flat Rate PM envelope and be mailed for $4.05. Add $0.95 for packaging and you are up to $5.

Are the ferts still shipped via Priority Mail?
That is what I honestly dont get. Why so much for something they can do for so cheap. They will draw alot more buisness IMO.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.