The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dry ferts help

1068 7
I bought a couple ozs of dry ferts and they person I got them from have me a list and I wanted to have someone here double check it for me before I started so any help dosing dry ferts from a PT member who has been dosing dry for a while now please help? Question is should I use this list or go another direction?

Here's the list.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
12,174 Posts
I fixed the image rotation for you.

From the list, I am not sure how the original user was dosing potassium (alone). Perhaps they were using potassium sulfate.

In any case, the dosing that you choose depends on what kind of lighting (and how much in terms of intensity) you have. The more lighting you have, the harder your plants will be driven to grow, and thus, will consume more nutrients. If you have lower light, then the demand for nutrients will be lower.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fixed the image rotation for you.

From the list, I am not sure how the original user was dosing potassium (alone). Perhaps they were using potassium sulfate.

In any case, the dosing that you choose depends on what kind of lighting (and how much in terms of intensity) you have. The more lighting you have, the harder your plants will be driven to grow, and thus, will consume more nutrients. If you have lower light, then the demand for nutrients will be lower.
Sorry your right I forgot to mention I have a highlight tank with pressureized CO2.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I would ask exactly what each dry fertilizer is and recalculate using a calculator, http://calc.petalphile.com/. The dosing seems all over the place. Some are EI daily other PPS, others too high for anything. Just guessing at the type of fertilizers...

Assuming the nitrogen is KNO3, that's an average PPS dose, ~1ppm/dose.

The phosphorous is a standard EI daily dose, ~0.6ppm per dose.

The iron is about 20% higher than an EI daily dose. around 0.28ppm

The potassium seems very high even for EI weekly, 19ppm per week.

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
As soon as someone tells you that overdosing phosphorous will cause algae to occur you can assume they are not well informed about dosing fertilizers. That makes the rest of the recommendations questionable. But, you can always go to http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21944 and follow that, with whatever modifications you find are good for your set up, and know you are dosing in a good way.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as someone tells you that overdosing phosphorous will cause algae to occur you can assume they are not well informed about dosing fertilizers. That makes the rest of the recommendations questionable. But, you can always go to http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21944 and follow that, with whatever modifications you find are good for your set up, and know you are dosing in a good way.
Thanks a lot Hoppy, I had that page/link but lost it before I could tag it. I'm sort of in the process of starting over cuz the first big dirted tank I have is starting to look unpleasant to my eye so I'm gonna strive for a clean looking tank I'm doing stuff right but I have to fix my PH problem and I don't mean the water colum I mean Plant Hording. Lol ;). I guess the first step in knowing u have a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.