The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Hopefully somebody else has thought about this or have done this.

Dry ferts are really cheap. Can I use them to fertilize my front lawn and my back yard of my house? I'm not talking about aquarium lawns...but actual grass....

Please help.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
My guess is yes, but you'd have to dilute them. Best guess, standard EI values per week should be safe (so fractions of a teaspoon per 10g of water). At some level, it'll start burning the vegetation, which is why you'd dilute.

But, it's quick release. It'll be absorbed or wash away before too long, so you'd lose any effect after ...a couple/three weeks maybe? That's why a lot of grass feed is in slow-release capsule form. It might be a more effective use to use the solution on trees and shrubs.

Also remember - if it matters - that it's not organic. These are the base chemicals we're working with, not nutrients locked into a more benign form.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
In theory, yes. But you will find that most commercial "lawn food" is granulated, or even encapsulated into little slow release packages. That helps the granules go down to the soil surface and benefit the root area. Perhaps over extended times, depending on soil moisture and temperature.
Now if you dust KNO3 over your lawn, it will stick to the leaves, and burn them, be blown away, and/or lead to other unintended results. For example, I have found that (incorrect) foliar fertilization can lead to increased generative growth, meaning your grass plants go into flower instead of growing more blades. Whoops.
So I'd recommend to use some commercial grass fertilizer. Of course you can mix up a solution of your dry ferts and feed trees and bushes, veggies and stuff. Just be aware that different ratios of NPK will have different results, some may not be welcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.