The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there. i would like to start to dose my tank with dry ferts,heres my problem
i went to the local hydroponics store and asked the guy what stuff i would need
he seemed really hesitant as to what i would need.i have read thru the history posts and have an idea but to be honest im a little confused and unsure of myself ,is there anyone out here who has some experiance dealing with a hydroponics store and there products .i just want m y plants to be happy and they just seem to not grow with what i am doing .
what dry ferts do i need ... and how much would u guys rec for a 55 gal tank
with c02 ,and 36 in t5 lighting .
is there a site that would guide me to the mixing and adding to my tank
any body out here who can help me
im located in toronto
thanks
tom

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Everything at the hydro stores around here has everything premixed... It's harder to add what you want with premixes. I'm sure you might be able to get something to work but you will also be spending money that you don't have to..

Check out this thread. You can find everything you need.

kno3..... That will be your problem. I think it is illegal in Canada. But depending on your bio load and how you feed your fish, you might be able to get away without it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can search here under Estimative Index.
There is alot to read & alot to understand.
Bottom line - you do not have to do either
You do need dry ferts ( I mix with distilled water)
You might want to post a picture of your tank. I say this so we can see your plant load.
Do you use Co2? What are your lights? Need answers to help you :)

Check out Green Leaf Aquariums my favorite place for ferts
great Customer Service...Orlando will take care of you
go here
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

There are three methods listed - Estimative Index is one of the choices

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
There are other nitrate salts that might be easier to find too. Around here stump killer is potassium nitrate and I can buy it easily at garden centers. You can use enemas made with sodium phosphate for phosphate but it isn't particularly good stuff. I much prefer to buy this stuff online though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.